Partion Difficulty

G

garellano

Hi all, I am a new MAC user, been using a new intel mac for about 4 or 5 months now and loving it. I have to use a special windows program, and so i tried to install windows xp with bootcamp assistant. First, I couldn't get bootcamp to run, finally figured out it was the firmware, and got past that. Next, i was told that the partion couldn't be made because there was an error in the drive, got that fixed by running my OS disk and repairing the drive. Now, bootcamp is saying that I still can't create a partition, the exact messege is "Your disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format the disk as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again." I find this confusing, because when i run the disk utility it says that my drive is both extended and journaled... any suggestions? I'm out of ideas and patience! Thanks to anyone who is willing to help me figure this out...

Reaction score
garellano said:
Hi all, I am a new MAC user, been using a new intel mac for about 4 or 5 months now and loving it. I have to use a special windows program, and so i tried to install windows xp with bootcamp assistant. First, I couldn't get bootcamp to run, finally figured out it was the firmware, and got past that. Next, i was told that the partion couldn't be made because there was an error in the drive, got that fixed by running my OS disk and repairing the drive. Now, bootcamp is saying that I still can't create a partition, the exact messege is "Your disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format the disk as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again." I find this confusing, because when i run the disk utility it says that my drive is both extended and journaled... any suggestions? I'm out of ideas and patience! Thanks to anyone who is willing to help me figure this out...

G'day garellano and welcome to M-F.

Have you recently downloaded Parallels by any chance? I'm asking because this could be the culprit. Have a look in your Home Folder>Library for a folder named Parallels and delete it and try the Boot Camp thing again.

OP
G

garellano

Thank you for responding! I looked to see if there was any Parallels software, and it doesn't look like it, and as fas as I know, I have not downloaded any such software (for partionitioning or anything like that)....

Pulse-8 said:
G'day garellano and welcome to M-F.

Have you recently downloaded Parallels by any chance? I'm asking because this could be the culprit. Have a look in your Home Folder>Library for a folder named Parallels and delete it and try the Boot Camp thing again.

OP
G

garellano

I decided to actually try parallels and that worked great, i now can use windows on a virtual desktop on my mac, the only thing i have now is that i can't seem to make the internet connection work... any ideas on this?

garellano said:
Thank you for responding! I looked to see if there was any Parallels software, and it doesn't look like it, and as fas as I know, I have not downloaded any such software (for partionitioning or anything like that)....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.