Legality of music in podcast...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey guys!

Ive recently got some software which allows you to mix songs together etc n set different keypoints...

Now i used to do DJ'ing in my spare time a few years ago but found myself running out of time.

Ive managed to get some time back now and would love to start mixing tunes together again HOWEVER im not sure of the legality of using music in my mixes and then publishing the mix onto the net (podcast)

For example i want to use commercially available bands such as Miss Black America, Muse, Pantera or whatever, how would i go about using these in my mix legally?

How do full public Radio stations do it? (Vibe FM, Radio 1 etc)

Cheers in advance for any answers!

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
TenderSurrender said:

~~ TS ~~
Radio stations, libraries, and other 'public' entities all have obtained rights to use material. You would have to do the same. Contact the copyright owner and get explicit permission to use them, they even pay a royalty for each use.
That would be the legal way to use any copyrighted material, be it in print or audio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
What software are you using to Mix the music?

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@ RIDE - Look up "Djay" for Mac.. simple as the software seems... its good enough for now until i buy my old rig back (technics etc) then ill be sorted :p

@ D3v1L80Y - Is there no way you can purchase something that allows you to use it thru a 3rd party or something allowing you to play/publish copyrighted music in mixes?
Reason i ask is some compliations have 60 odd songs on, and to contact the copyright owners of each one must take absolouty ages and seems an awkward way of doing things!

However knowing my luck thats probably the only way to go about it lol :)

Cheers for your help D3v1L80Y!

~~ TS ~~

(btw, i just tried to add to your rep D3v1L80Y however, it wont let me, just keeps reverting me to the top of the screen...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
TenderSurrender said:
Hey guys!

Ive recently got some software which allows you to mix songs together etc n set different keypoints...

Now i used to do DJ'ing in my spare time a few years ago but found myself running out of time.

Ive managed to get some time back now and would love to start mixing tunes together again HOWEVER im not sure of the legality of using music in my mixes and then publishing the mix onto the net (podcast)

For example i want to use commercially available bands such as Miss Black America, Muse, Pantera or whatever, how would i go about using these in my mix legally?

~~ TS ~~
It starts to get really dodgy when you do remixes and stuff like that. There is a huge discussion on this over at Ableton Live Dj forums. Basically, if you are not making money on it, dont really sweat it too much. Now if you start to play out in clubs for money, or produce your mixes, then you have to start worrying about it.

--lifeafter2am

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
that is why radio stations/tv et al. all have large legal teams.....because it is such a large undetaking
-chris

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@ Lifeafter2am - I figured if legal teams are going to go for people, theyre going to go for the larger organisations etc however if im going to take this seriously id rather do it all legitamatly. :)

@ Coach_Z - Being a student, I cant see my bank balance agreeing to me "Borrowing" Microsofts legal team :p:p

Im gonna see Jack Akhurst today, who is part of the tech team for VibeFM, Im gonna see if he knows anything on the subject as well :)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I know over here in germany, as a band if we play a cover of a song, we just have to fill out a GEMA form and the club just submits that to the GEMA. Most clubs with live music play a flat yearly fee to the record industry and just have to tell them what was played when.

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used to be in a touring(ish) band as well (we toured parts of east anglia for a couple of months during breaks in school) and most places never even asked for a setlist... No doubt we were probably meant to though lol!!

If i find ne more info out, ill post it back here, in the mean time, if anyone else has anymore info on the subject itd be very helpful :)

~~ TS ~~

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok he knew nothing on it really, so has anyone else got any input on this one? :)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
TenderSurrender said:
@ Lifeafter2am - I figured if legal teams are going to go for people, theyre going to go for the larger organisations etc however if im going to take this seriously id rather do it all legitamatly. :)
~~ TS ~~
It would also depend on where you get your music from. If you get it from a "DJ" site like djdownload.com or any of the others, then you are completely in the clear. Same if you are using vinyl rips (like I do). This is why you pay more for the vinyl or the download on these sites, you are paying up front for the rights to play this music in front of people. Now if you want to make a mix CD and sell it, then you would have to get additional rights to the music.

[edit] This is true in the U.S.. I dont know where you live. But I do know that a lot of digital DJ's in the UK are because they have to buy a special license to play out in clubs.

[/edit]

--lifeafter2am

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.