Ethernet Won't Work/No Internet Connection in XP Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz; 6GB RAM (4x512/4x1GB), 1.5TB HD (3xHDDs), ATI XT1900, built-in Bluetooth/Airport
I just installed XP Pro/SP2 on my Mac Pro and I cannot get the ethernet to work I connect to the internet through an on all the time broadband cable modem attached to an Airport Extreme, which the Mac Pro is plugged into directly via ethernet. Windows is showing 'network adapter unplugged' for both ethernet ports.

I tried to disable them and then enable them again, but that doesn't work What could the problem be? Without the internet, I can't activate Windows and download all the security patches and so on.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz; 6GB RAM (4x512/4x1GB), 1.5TB HD (3xHDDs), ATI XT1900, built-in Bluetooth/Airport
I still have not been able to get the ethernet ports to work in XP Pro.

Reaction score
GoldenRedux said:
I still have not been able to get the ethernet ports to work in XP Pro.

Just a long shot but try this:

Under the Network Adapter settings change the selection box under "Bridged Ethernet" from en0 to en1.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pulse-8 said:

Under the Network Adapter settings change the selection box under "Bridged Ethernet" from en0 to en1.

Thanks. I'll give it a try later today and see what happens. :)

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pulse-8 said:

I tried to do this, but I could not find the setting you are referring to in Windows. Where exactly should I be looking?

H

Hulk_SMASH

I've got my mini connected to my PC via a Cat5 crossover cable and running its' own network between the two machines while the internet is running off of the built-in airport. Is this what you're trying to achieve or are you just running your ethernet-out to an airport router? If it's the latter, you'll probably need to configure the wireless networking for Windows (manually through controll panel or via wizard to get it set up properly). The reason it's saying network connection unplugged is because it cannot find an ip address through dhcp because it doesn't know to check wirelessly. Make sure you go to your device manager and that the drivers are set up correctly (you did make a driver disc before installing bootcamp, right?)

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, boneheaded move of the day - the reason it was saying adapter unplugged is because it was unplugged, sort of. When i connected all of the cable to the Mac Pro, I apparently followed the wrong ethernet cable and had the cable from an old Gateway in another room plugged into the ethernet pot, and not the one that was coming from the Airport. Duh. Sorry for that one folks. Now the ethernet is working fine, however, XP still cannot find my wireless network, which is not really a problem. I don't need wireless in Windows.

I was able to connect to my cable connection over the ethernet cable plugged directly into an Airport and download all the updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
do you have broadcasting turned on in your wireless router?

have you tried to manually add the wireless network ?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mathiau said:
do you have broadcasting turned on in your wireless router?
Broadcasting? I'm using an Airport Extreme, but I don't recall seeing that option.

have you tried to manually add the wireless network ?
Yes, but it still doesn't find it. I put the name in directly and the password, but it just keeps saying it can't find any wireless networks.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pamich said:
You did install the mac drivers, right?

Yes, sir. I installed them and still nothing. I even reinstalled them, but to no avail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.