Powemac G3 won't start the OS

S

sjktjohnson

Everytime I start the Power Mac G3 it starts to mount the drive and then the only thing that shows up on the screen is a floppy disk and a question mark in the middle does anyone know what this means and how do I fix it?

sjktjohnson

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
That happened to my G3 B&W and I fixed it with a hammer...

I raked my brains over it trying to find a solution and couldn't come up with anything. I tried different CD drives, Mac OS 9/X media, memory, hard drives, etc, etc. The only thing I got was the question mark. The only thing I can think of that would cause it would be a bad logic board, which I wasn't about to replace. I paid $20 for the entire system, so spending $20-40 on a logic board doesn't make logic to me and my wallet.

OP
S

sjktjohnson

Power Mac G3

I read earlier that if it is making a clicking noise then it would be the HDD. That is what this is doing but when I replace the HDD nothing still get the same thing. Any other ideas I fortunately have extra parts lying around from other Macs and PCs to try. I wish I could take a hammer to it but it is an office computer the the person really needs it.

sjktjohson

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Well, the only thing I didn't try was swapping logic boards, so that MUST be the solution. Either that or I was missing something...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.