Will Classic OS 9 run on a Mac Pro??

Reaction score
I am setting up a new Mac Pro for one of our users it is running OS 10.4.7 they still have some older apps that they will need to use so require OS9. I have installed the Classic OS 9 but when I go into the utilities within the Applications folder and try and open various apps like printer utility i get a message saying 'it is not supported on this system'. Will Classic OS 9 not run on the Mac Pro? I have installed this no problem on G5's.

Thanks

Reaction score
gselliott said:
Will Classic OS 9 not run on the Mac Pro?
Alas, no. Classic was written for PowerPC processors. Mac switched to Intel processors. You need an older PowerPC machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i am sure there has to be some better software out by now that these people can use. they seriously have the newest most top of the line computer with the most archaic operating system software ever. those programs had to be made like 12 years ago.

i highly suggest these people upgrade their software or downgrade their computer because if you require a program that uses os9 then you dont need a macpro
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
gselliott said:
I am setting up a new Mac Pro for one of our users it is running OS 10.4.7 they still have some older apps that they will need to use so require OS9. I have installed the Classic OS 9 but when I go into the utilities within the Applications folder and try and open various apps like printer utility i get a message saying 'it is not supported on this system'. Will Classic OS 9 not run on the Mac Pro? I have installed this no problem on G5's.

Thanks
IF they simply must use OS 9 software there is an emulator called sheepshaver (sheep shaver) you could check that out. I haven't needed it for all the reasons stated by the coach, so I don't know how well it works.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies it's basically what I thought anyway, it now makes it easier for me to pursuade management to get their wallets out and get everyone on up to date apps!!

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.