Change open office files to word

Reaction score
Trying to convert open office files to ms word doc.
it always gives me a "convert file" window with a number of choices,all of
which turn the file into unreadable gobbedly goop.
What should I do??

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
To convert OpenOffice.org documents, all you should need to do is open them in open office, then do a File -> Save As and choose the relevant MS format.

Reaction score
bassyb said:
Trying to convert open office files to ms word doc.
it always gives me a "convert file" window with a number of choices,all of
which turn the file into unreadable gobbedly goop.
What should I do??

Doug

Do what cazabam suggests or open the file in Oo.o and Save As= Rich Text File....MS will read this format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Pulse-8 said:
Do what cazabam suggests or open the file in Oo.o and Save As= Rich Text File....MS will read this format.

RTF is great if you want it 'generically readable'. Even TextEdit can understand RTF!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
When you say "gobbedly goop", I hope that you are not looking at the files direclty after you do this. MS-Word format is "gobbedly goop" to everything but MS-Word and a few other programs. Do you mean that MS-Word won't read these files?

What program are you using to do the conversion? Hopefully you are using either OpenOffice or better yet, NeoOffice, the Mac OS X version of Open Office. Both of these should do the conversion very well, unless you have a truly tortured Word file taking advantage of every arcane feature that unfortunate program has.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
cazabam said:
RTF is great if you want it 'generically readable'. Even TextEdit can understand RTF!
TextEdit can open .doc files, too.
:black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.