External DVD-RW troubles

C

camcc

I've just bought an LG One Touch DVD RW drive and connected it to my 12" Powerbook.

If I put a CD in, it does pick it up and displays the icon on the desktop however when I open Toast Platinum to burn a DVD it sees the internal CD-RW but not the external. I go into Recorder settings and the external DVD burner isn't in the listed.

The software CDs that came with the drive have no Mac software on them.

Should I try another burning program??

Reaction score
camcc said:
I've just bought an LG One Touch DVD RW drive and connected it to my 12" Powerbook.

If I put a CD in, it does pick it up and displays the icon on the desktop however when I open Toast Platinum to burn a DVD it sees the internal CD-RW but not the external. I go into Recorder settings and the external DVD burner isn't in the listed.

The software CDs that came with the drive have no Mac software on them.

Should I try another burning program??

G'day camcc, sorry if this seems stupid but I'm trying to ascertain if you have a PC only unit. What's the model number?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Try running patchburn (www.patchburn.de) to install a driver so the finder sees the drive.

OP
C

camcc

Pulse-8 said:
G'day camcc, sorry if this seems stupid but I'm trying to ascertain if you have a PC only unit. What's the model number?

LG Electronics DVD-RW/SuperMulti USB 2.0 External - Retail - GSA5169D

Thanks

OP
C

camcc

Aptmunich said:
Try running patchburn (www.patchburn.de) to install a driver so the finder sees the drive.

After establishing that my drive is for Microsoft OSs do you think that patchburn will solve my issue (can't try it until later) ??

OP
C

camcc

Patchburn Has Solved The Issue And The Drive Is Now Recognized In Os X

Many Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yay, glad it worked!

Patchburn does the trick in most cases :) - remember to consider donating if you appreciate the author's help!

Reaction score
camcc said:
Patchburn Has Solved The Issue And The Drive Is Now Recognized In Os X

Many Thanks!!

Just for my benefit....the drive was advertised as being M$ compatible only but because of the Patchburn driver, Mac OS X can now use it....or are dvd drives platformly universal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Pulse-8 said:
It says in the Sys Requirements that it's for Microsoft OS:

You'll find that just about any PC peripheral's system requirements are expressed in terms of 'Windows version required'. According to the specs on my DVD burner it is Windows only, but it works fine under Linux. This is because it is the accompanying software, not the drive itself, that it Windows specific. Only a few 'Winmodems' and 'Winprinters' actually require Windows to work (*glares at lexmark*)

The reason PatchBurn is required is because Apple have a very limited list of 'Supported' drives (basically, the optical drives they ship or very few that use the same chipset). PatchBurn tricks OS X into thinking that the drive you have is on the list by adding it's particulars to the list of supported drives internally. It's not that the drive requires Windows, it's that OS X doesn't (normally) like the drive.

Reaction score
cazabam said:
You'll find that just about any PC peripheral's system requirements are expressed in terms of 'Windows version required'. According to the specs on my DVD burner it is Windows only, but it works fine under Linux. This is because it is the accompanying software, not the drive itself, that it Windows specific.

The reason PatchBurn is required is because Apple have a very limited list of 'Supported' drives (basically, the optical drives they ship or very few that use the same chipset). PatchBurn tricks OS X into thinking that the drive you have is on the list by adding it's particulars to the list of supported drives internally. It's not that the drive requires Windows, it's that OS X doesn't (normally) like the drive.

cazabam, thank you very muchly, it's all clear now. I got a little confused about how it all came to be sorted and wasn't going to let it go. It's great that camcc's issue has been resolved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.