I really need some help...not sure what is happening.

Reaction score
10.4.8 according to my computer.

Ok, what happened is this:
I was in bed at college about 2:00am, obviously about 30min ago. All of a sudden I hear my computer blaring music. I was like what the heck, and come to find my roommates friend, who is a totally annoying and clueless person, on my computer.

I highly doubt she knows how to use this, so when she leaves I jump down and think: here we go, its screwed up. Turns out some things were very, very weird, at least from the way i normally run things. :black:

First, she had accessed the folders and applications through Macintosh HD on the desktop. SOMEWHERE??? she had found the itunes7 drive icon and opened it. So I have this drive running that I usually dont have running. My finder window is open showing one file: the song playing on itunes. Usually I just open itunes on the dock, so this is new. its ok, I eject the drive and thats normal.

Then I notice another window open. Its an install window Ive never seen before for itunes7, and it had Macintosh HD on it, and I honestly havent ever seen it before and cant describe it, and I started getting worried.

My trash was full, so I go into it and have two folders, and this is why I was freaking out. One said "recovered files" and the other "iphoto". They were not the icons of the apps they were just folders, and i got rid of them, I didnt know what else to do....

So, I am worried about it, I dont know if she freaking got rid of system level stuff, I dont knwo how to find out, and if she did mess with it what am I supposed to do? I read all up on my computer, and I am new though so still learning and I love my mac...I just am freaking out its 240am...

I mean, this is running fine it seems now but I jusut dont know...

help. :doctor: Thanks everyone.
-Nate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If everything is running fine, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Some advice:
First, make sure you memorize and never forget your Admin password.
Next, go to System Preferences -> Accounts, the click on the 'Login Options'.
Uncheck the box that says "Automatically log in as:" and uncheck the box "Show password hints"
Then, while still in System Preferences, go to 'Security'. Check the boxes for "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver" and "Require password to unlock each secure system preference"... then click to lock icon to prevent further changes.

Finally, set your computer to go to a screen saver if it is idle.

Oh, and tell your roomie to have their friends keep their mitts off your stuff.
:black:

Picture 3.png

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
bimmernate said:
10.4.8 according to my computer.

Ok, what happened is this:
I was in bed at college about 2:00am, obviously about 30min ago. All of a sudden I hear my computer blaring music. I was like what the heck, and come to find my roommates friend, who is a totally annoying and clueless person, on my computer.

I highly doubt she knows how to use this, so when she leaves I jump down and think: here we go, its screwed up. Turns out some things were very, very weird, at least from the way i normally run things. :black:

First, she had accessed the folders and applications through Macintosh HD on the desktop. SOMEWHERE??? she had found the itunes7 drive icon and opened it. So I have this drive running that I usually dont have running. My finder window is open showing one file: the song playing on itunes. Usually I just open itunes on the dock, so this is new. its ok, I eject the drive and thats normal.

Then I notice another window open. Its an install window Ive never seen before for itunes7, and it had Macintosh HD on it, and I honestly havent ever seen it before and cant describe it, and I started getting worried.

My trash was full, so I go into it and have two folders, and this is why I was freaking out. One said "recovered files" and the other "iphoto". They were not the icons of the apps they were just folders, and i got rid of them, I didnt know what else to do....

So, I am worried about it, I dont know if she freaking got rid of system level stuff, I dont knwo how to find out, and if she did mess with it what am I supposed to do? I read all up on my computer, and I am new though so still learning and I love my mac...I just am freaking out its 240am...

I mean, this is running fine it seems now but I jusut dont know...

help. :doctor: Thanks everyone.
-Nate

G'day Nate!

Firstly don't worry....from your post it doesn't appear that your roommates friend has done any harm although you need to password protect your mac to ensure this doesn't happen again...

The clueless person must have double-clicked on the Macintosh HD icon in the upper right of your screen which will give access to the heart of the HD. There is a folder called Applications which holds the obvious. It's easy to access this by double-clicking on Macintosh HD then in the left pane just click on the Applications link then if you scroll down in List View you can see iTunes. Apps are listed in Alphabetical order. I wouldn't worry about the finder window showing the song which was playing in iTunes.

It's normal to access iTunes from the Dock but there are always 2 or 3 different ways to achieve the same result on any mac or pc.

As for the install window, iTunes recently put out an update to fix some bugs so it's possible that the software update window appeared for the clueless one asking them to update iTunes from ver 7 to ver 7.0.1.

You would know if you have done this yourself recently and can check by launching iTunes and clicking on iTunes in the menu and then selecting About iTunes from the drop down menu. It will show which version of iTunes you have installed. So once again it's probably nothing to worry about but don't let anyone you don't trust have access to your Mac.

With the items in the trash...recovered items folder is nothing to worry about, but the iPhoto folder may be a concern if your digital photo library is incomplete for no reason.

So in summing up, password protect your account to keep ding-dongs out, and check your iPhoto library. Otherwise I'm sure there's nothing to worry about with this.

If you discover any other strange happenings with your mac as a result of this please post them ....and get some sleep! :dive:

OP
B
Reaction score
wow thanks guys, you are very helpful! I think I can get some rest, however, I am going to protect this with a password now for sure. I dont think Ive ever received such a helpful reply in a new forum, I am glad I found this place I think it will be a good way to learn about my mac. thanks again! if i notice anything weird with iphoto ill post up!

-nate

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.