Compressing video

Z

Z.A.C.

Does anyone know what should be a "standard" video bitrate for when I compress DVD's and put them on my new 80GB iPod?

I see iTunes says the new iPod's can play higher quality video, but what's a good bitrate that doesn't take up a ton of space but still looks very clear as well?

I tried 850kbps of video along with 128 of video, which usually totaled up to 1,000 which seems like a good amount.

I didn't notice a big difference in quality at slightly higher or lower bitrate's either. (The show was Family Guy)

I have Prison Break DVD's and was wondering how those should be compressed also.

Thanks your any kind of help.

Reaction score
Z.A.C. said:
Does anyone know what should be a "standard" video bitrate for when I compress DVD's and put them on my new 80GB iPod? I see iTunes says the new iPod's can play higher quality video, but what's a good bitrate that doesn't take up a ton of space but still looks very clear as well? I tried 850kbps of video along with 128 of video, which usually totaled up to 1,000 which seems like a good amount. I didn't notice a big difference in quality at slightly higher or lower bitrate's either. (The show was Family Guy) I have Prison Break DVD's and was wondering how those should be compressed also. Thanks your any kind of help.

Found this, it appears to address all your questions:

http://www.methodshop.com/mp3/tutorials/dvd-to-ipod/index.shtml

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.