Airport signal

O

onlynismo

my airport signal keeps bouncing up and down. it would go to full strength to nothing...alll sitting in the same spot. i'm using a linksys router but i've never had a problem with this before. but a couple of days ago, i opened up my ibook to replace the display...and i understand that the antanne wire comes out for the display, but i ended up using the same display i was using before. anyone know why i'm having this problem? or how i can fix it? i tried restarting my router, but that didn't work...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Sounds to me like you may have loosened the antena wire. You might want to have a look and make sure it is secure.

OP
O

onlynismo

D3v1L80Y said:
Sounds to me like you may have loosened the antena wire. You might want to have a look and make sure it is secure.

the antenna wire that plugs into the airport is all the way in. do you think it has something to do with the wire itself? like coming out of the display?

OP
O

onlynismo

this is weird...when i'm sitting like 5 feet away from my router, it doesn't bounce up and down...

OP
O

onlynismo

does anyone have any experience in changing the internal antenna that comes out from the screen? the little part on there is held on to the screen with a double sided tape, does anyone know how to remove that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
onlynismo said:
does anyone have any experience in changing the internal antenna that comes out from the screen? the little part on there is held on to the screen with a double sided tape, does anyone know how to remove that?

its possible, but its NOT easy to do!!!

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/83.0.0.html

you'd have to take apart quite a few parts.... It might be easier just to use an ethernet cable...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
It's possible that somebody else is using a wireless network on the same channel as you. If they are, then being very close to your router will have a sufficiently high signal that it will fix on it, but any further away and it'll lose it.

Grab iStumbler and see if this is the case. If it is, pick a different channel and you should be away. The iStumbler dashboard widget is very useful - it graphically shows you the overlapping signals. Quite often I see two or three networks with SSIDs like 'NETGEAR' and 'LINKSYS' trampling all over each other.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.