G5 audio input?

D

ddog

I have been told the port on the back of my G5 below the speaker out-put is audio in-put. It has a symbol that looks like a circle with shapes on either side that look like speaker cones from the side. I have plugged in a new microphone device to this port but I am getting no results- the mic isn't working. I have gone to "sounds" in the preferences to no avail. Trying to set up "Skype" for free international phone calling, how do I mic in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Kind of like this?:

>O<

When under "Sounds" in Preferences, make sure to click "Input" and change it to "Line In".

...but yes, that is the place you should plug a mic.

Reaction score
What kind of mic do you have plugged into your computer? If it's not a computer mic, it will need some way to be amplified before it is sent into your system (such as a small mixer, or Griffin's iMic).

OP
D

ddog

reply to surfwax

in "sounds" under in-put I have selected "line-in" and turned up volume(nothing shows on the in-put levels)

surfwax95 said:
Kind of like this?:

>O<

When under "Sounds" in Preferences, make sure to click "Input" and change it to "Line In".

...but yes, that is the place you should plug a mic.

OP
D

ddog

microphone

I bought a PC headset(headphones) with a small boom mic. Could the problem be that I am using Mac?. Wouldn't the mic/mic jack be generic? Headset works fine
djlee12 said:
What kind of mic do you have plugged into your computer? If it's not a computer mic, it will need some way to be amplified before it is sent into your system (such as a small mixer, or Griffin's iMic).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I believe the problem is one of signal levels. The input you are referring to is an Audio In, not a Mic In. There is quite a levels difference. If you watch the strength meter in the Sounds preferences panel and quite literally yell into the microphone, you will see it move one notch or so. Essentially, you need some form of amplification such as iMic or other similar product. Alternately, but more expensively, if you just want a microphone, you can buy an iSight camera. This plugs in using Firewire and has an excellent microphone. This is what I have done to get over this issue.

OP
D

ddog

back to the store

Thanks= I'm returning this maybe for a mic that uses USB

or
mac57 said:
I believe the problem is one of signal levels. The input you are referring to is an Audio In, not a Mic In. There is quite a levels difference. If you watch the strength meter in the Sounds preferences panel and quite literally yell into the microphone, you will see it move one notch or so. Essentially, you need some form of amplification such as iMic or other similar product. Alternately, but more expensively, if you just want a microphone, you can buy an iSight camera. This plugs in using Firewire and has an excellent microphone. This is what I have done to get over this issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.