All in one: video, webcam, still

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac
Is there such a beast out there that I can purchase for the price equivellent to buying each item individually?

A digital camera, a digital video record (with sound) and a webcam (with sound) that's USB - not firewire?

I saw a cheap idea of this at Walmart the other day - but I can't find something that isn't cheapo cheapo - I'm willing to pay a few hundred if I can just get something that'll work properly and do my deeds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
if that is not considered cheap... how much did the walmart version cost?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac
lol

Ok - I'm really shocked that this is what I saw there - It has high ratings, so that's a good sign. Excellent price - it almost makes me leery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
3 megapixels... ouch.
My current digital camera (Fujifilm Finepix F810) does all that, and at 6MP (interpolates up to 12) - but alas, cannot function as a webcam for macs - only PC :(
I should check to see if there have been updates though.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac
mexapixels schmegapixels....I've never had quandaries with 3 vs 6 and so on - I, really, don't see the importance if it's just for every-day things.

*edit* but I say that, now - come time to photo my business I'll be regreting this purchase, probably :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
you can probably get a cheap webcam, a video camera and a deceent still camera for a decently cheap price and it will suitte each need a lot better
-chris

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac
I'll invest in reasonable - higher quality items once I can afford them, this is just a temporary fix to the problem of my digicam's death, and the lack of funds for a nice camcorder.
I'm not expecting much of it - just something I can use in the meantime. I don't want my husband to miss out on a lot of our youngest's 'firsts' because of technical issues....that'd break my heart.

heck - lately I've been using my cellphone to take pics and them calling them into photobucket.
Anything's better than that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Silverfroth said:
**** - lately I've been using my cellphone to take pics and them calling them into photobucket.
Anything's better than that!

agreed. I'd love a bluetooth phone one day, so I don't have to email photos to myself (which costs me money). My mobile is going on 3 years old, so there's probably no existing support for it now.

I guess most people don't care about megapixels for casual photography. But I'm a detail freak :p and a photography student.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac
Well - I had a decent digi - 4.5 megas or something of the such - did quite well for my business purposes (lots of detailed closeups of jewelry). But I always downed the qualty and size for family photos so I could fit more on my camera.
If your quality is too high - when you shrink it to a wallet sized pics you lose clarity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
what do you mean there? I'm not sure what you mean by "if your quality is too high"
When you shrink any image of any size you're losing detail. If you shoot on lower quality, you don't have that detail to begin with. So personally, I always shoot on a high setting, because then I know I have the detail if I need it later. When I first got my camera, I didn't do this, and ended up regretting it later when I needed to crop some images or print them.

A spare memory card is always a good thing to have too ;)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac
Yeah man, this is cool...i Just got it today...way cool.

Now - while the software isn't supported by the MAC (big oversite by Macworld - they don't mention this at all) it's still usable - with VLC I can save, watch and LISTEN to the videos....I've been exhausting myself with trying to find hte right Divx plugin for Quicktime, real player, Windows media player, etc etc - VLC even said 'the audio file is broken...want VLC to attempt to restore?' ... it took a few minutes of it running through the audio - twice - but it paid off.

I've yet to mess around with the MP3 part, but I'll get that going, too.
And the pictures are quite decent for such a tiny thing.

It's about the size of a credit card - works quite well for it's pricetag of < $100.00. It doesn't feel like it's real sturdy - if I drop it it might break into pieces.
That's how they saved on cost, it seems.

I bought a 2 gig memory card to go with it from tigerdirect - so I'll never run out of room, but what it comes with is just great for a few short videos, some music, pics, etc...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.