• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

MPEG missing audio

Reaction score
I am a mnwbie iMAc user....3 weeks since I received it so forgive if this is a silly one...havce searched threads but can't find this precise issue.

At the weekend I was with my brother visiting my son. We both took video and JPEGS with our hand held compact cameras. My brother has Sony Cyber shot. We do not live close to each other.....I was travelling with my XP laptop so I uploaded my brothers photos and videos to the laptop. I checked that they had uploaded and played back on the laptop and all was fine.

When I got home I FTP'd the files to my iMac. Transfer worked fine BUT all the MPEG videos lose the sound when I play back on the iMac. On the PC the sound is there but silence on the iMac.....what is the crucial button I should be pressing !?

Reaction score
ctid said:

It looks like this fixed things for ctid:

If you launch Apple’s Garage Band application, bring up the keyboard window (Command-K), and click on the piano keys to make some noise. Once you hear the soothing sounds of the Grand Piano, quit Garage Band and open your video again–the sound should be working fine now.

The obvious question is, why does this fix the problem? While the actual reason for the problem is not known, at least by anyone outside Apple, running Garage Band resets certain audio settings in the operating system that restore audio functionality for other applications. This has a lot to do with that 44.1k versus 48k audio rates setting that we mentioned before. Sometimes, an application will set your Mac to use the 48k audio format, and this can cause problems with other applications. Launching Garage Band will reset your Mac to the 44.1k format. Of course, you can also check your audio setting in Applications / Utilities / Audio MIDI Setup. In the Audio Devices section, check that your Audio Output format is set to 44100.0 Hz.

OP
C
Reaction score
Pulse-8 said:
It looks like this fixed things for ctid:

Actually it did after a fashion...that allowed QT to PLAY the MPEG with audio BUT it turns out there is a limitation of iMovie whereby MPEG clips are imported MINUS sound which is a shame.....has anyone found a way around this ? Can I somehow convert and recode the MPEG into some other format using any nice widgets or tools ?

Reaction score
ctid said:
Actually it did after a fashion...that allowed QT to PLAY the MPEG with audio BUT it turns out there is a limitation of iMovie whereby MPEG clips are imported MINUS sound which is a shame.....has anyone found a way around this ? Can I somehow convert and recode the MPEG into some other format using any nice widgets or tools ?

I found this on another forum:

Sounds like you have a "muxed" mpeg movie. Muxed mpegs embed the audio track into the video track. (You can verify that by opening it in Quicktime and using the get info command. If you have 10.4, you can also do a spotlight search for "muxed" and spotlight will show you any muxed mpeg movie you have on your hard drive.)

You'll have to demux it before importing in iMovie. Demuxing separates the audio and video tracks so it will import correctly into iMovie and be in an editable state. You need a program called Mpeg Streamclip (http://www.squared5.com/) It's free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.