Still don't fully understand how apps work within Mac OSX

Reaction score
What can I keep and what can I delete?

Do I keep the setup (DMG) files on my computer after downloading and installing applications?

I hate things on my desktop, so find myself deleting files then finding out my application has gone and I'm having to re-download them the next day.

Anyone help out?

Thanks
Liam

Reaction score
Liam said:
What can I keep and what can I delete?

Do I keep the setup (DMG) files on my computer after downloading and installing applications?

I hate things on my desktop, so find myself deleting files then finding out my application has gone and I'm having to re-download them the next day.

Anyone help out?

Thanks
Liam

Hi Liam, it wasn't too long ago that I was asking myself the very same questions...

When the .dmg is fully downloaded, double-clicking on it will lauch the volume (unless you have this auto-launch in your web browser prefs in which case it will launch itself in a new window).

So, in the new window that springs open, just drag the apps icon to your applications folder...or to the alias of your Apps folder which should be to the right of the App you want to install.

Once installed, launch it from your Apps folder.

Then, decide whether you want to keep the icon in your Dock for easy access.

Then when the app has been closed, you can drag the Volume icon to the trash, which will in turn change to the same icon you see when you eject a CD.

It's up to you if you want to also trash the .dmg or keep it in a folder for later use just in case.

I have a special folder for all my .dmg files.

Then you're done.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for that - much appreciated. Good idea re: the DMG files also.

Also - when I double click on the HDD top right, is there a way I can make folders with images in viewable as thumbnails instead of just lists of details like DSC001.jpg, 002 etc?

Thanks again
Liam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
Everything Pilse 8 says is correct. To make it a little easier though, if you are used to working with windows, then treat the .dmg files you download to your desktop as equal to a .zip file (containing a compressed program) that you download on windows.

Double click on the .dmg file will open a "hard disk" type icon on your desktop - this is equivalent to clicking on a standard .zip file within windows and it decompressing, both show the items they hold within a new window.

Drag and drop the program from the "hard disk" type icon's contents window to your applications folder. In windows you would click the .exe file in the decompressed window and follow installation instructions.

Once the program has transferred from the hard disk icon contents window - you will see a transfer progress bar - you can then drag and drop the hard disk type icon to the trash to "eject" it.

Your program is now installed, and you can drag and drop to your dock if you wish for quick access. With your .dmg file (like a .zip file) you can either save on your system for any further installations of the program if you need them, or burn to a disc to keep or trash it.

If you trash the .dmg file, it will not stop the program from working if you have installed as above, but, if you ever want to re-install the program, you will need to download the .dmg file again.

Reaction score
Liam said:
Thanks for that - much appreciated. Good idea re: the DMG files also.

Also - when I double click on the HDD top right, is there a way I can make folders with images in viewable as thumbnails instead of just lists of details like DSC001.jpg, 002 etc?

Thanks again
Liam

You can view folders in list, column or icon view but if you're referring to XP's capability to place an image from that folder onto the folder, then I really don't know if there's any way to do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
1. Open up the folder that you want to change
2. Command-J or View > Show View Options
3. Then select whether this is going to be this window or all windows (this is how you set the default behavior)
4. And then select according to what you want.. you have quite a bit of control here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.