DVD Rewriter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hi guys

Can someone please advise a newb I have just been given a Power Mac G4 mirror doors which come with a DVD player but not a writer.

Iwould like to add a DVD/Rw and having used search i found this posthttp://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41744&highlight=DVD+drive

having checked out all the links I installed my Plextor PX 740A DVD rewriter, and ran Patchburn 3.14 but it would find the rewriter However when i connected just the Plextor it was discovered, but for some reason it would not work properly when i connected both the DVD player and rewriter together both will play DVD's but that all.

I have now purchased a Superdrive DVD rewriter from ebay. Can someone therefore please advise me on how to install both this and the current DVD player as i would like to have the option to copy DVD/CD's on this machine

Many Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Make sure the jumpers on the back of the CD/DVD drives are set properly. If you have both set to Master or Slave then it may not recognize either one at all, or only recognize one.

Set one drive to Master, and then set the other one to Slave and you will be good to go.

Reaction score
You probably haden't set the two drives correctly for Master and Slave, assuming you put them on the same cable. See www.xlr8yourmac.com for scads of info on optical drives and Macs.

OP
Towbar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply Guys

what a tea pot your right i did forget to change the jumpers on a PC i would have sussed straight away. sometimes you just forget to check the simple things anyway got a superderive 16X DVD-RW coming now lol that'll teach me not check here first bofore assuming i know what i'm doing lol :miner:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Well I guess now you can either keep the superdrive and have 2 dvd rw drives, or sell one on e-bay.

OP
Towbar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
right guys changed the the jumpers to Master & Slave Patchburn can see both drive all okay.

My problem now is why when i press the eject key on the keyboard does only the master Drive open. What do i need to do to get either top or bottom or both drives open when i want them to. I even swapped the drives about in postion in the carrier with no joy

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
You probably have to change jumpers so that the Master drive is where you want the eject button to work to. That's a good question, though; there are 2 5.25" optical drive bays, but the eject button only works for the drive set to Master???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.