iTunes purchased music not working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I purchased some songs last year and used them when making a slideshow DVD of my daughter...no problems. Have used a couple others for making shows of some sports without problems.

I dont use this often, and decided to make a DVD slideshow last night. Did not have a song I wanted to use for a couple shows so downloaded two new songs. Before I did this when opening iTunes it alerted me to a new version (7.01) so I let it update.

Now no songs that I have purchased will work when building a slideshow in iPhoto and sharing it to iDVD. I get a note about permissions, go to iTunes and put in my password...which then tells me I have the song on this and it is one of 5 computers I can authorize (only one computer that I use for this) however it will still not allow me to use the song for the reason I purchased it.

Any ideas on what went wrong in the iTunes upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Ok this is going to sound weird, but what I did was I went to my ~/Library/iTunes/

And then removed all the iTunes Plug-ins and the Scripts and then restarted iTunes, then played a protected song.. it worked. So I then quit iTunes and put all of the plugins and scripts back in and restarted iTunes and everything works now.

OP
Odin_aa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Thank you Murlyn, will give that a try when I get home.

OP
Odin_aa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Try deauthorizing all of your computers that play your purchased music, then reauthorizing them again one at a time. This solved the problem for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2013 Sierra
Hi there - have tried hard but I can't find the /Library/iTunes to follow your advice to remove plugins etc. Can you give me some guidelines please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Posts are ten years old Jack. Wonder how that beautiful boy turned out?

I you post your computer details, operating system and precisely what you need to do, I am sure someone will chime in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2013 Sierra
Hi Harry thx for this - but since I posted, I did find an iTunes plugin and a Scripts folder which I backed up and deleted - and have had an Apple chat line. ( This deletion made no difference ) Apparently the DRM overrides all these efforts so have to somehow find non DRM music to use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.