itunes and safari won't open on my powerbook G4?

D

dm95eg

I have a powerbook g4 12''. I was using the program VLC and it shutdown unexpectedly, then i go to open safari and itunes and they just bounce 1 to 3 times and won't start up. Also, my ichat program is acting weird. When i open it, two ichat bubbles appear...it says "ichat agent".

Here is a pic of what my dashboard looks like as well, please someone help me.

widget.png

This is what i've done so far:

Repair permissions
Reboot
Reboot + PRAM

Still won't work. Please someone help me. Oh, i've also dropped it twice fairly hard, could this mess it up? What i dont get though is why all of a sudden it would crap on me. Safari and itunes are the only programs i've found that dont work at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Dropping a computer is never a good thing.
I would suggest booting from your install media and running a disk repair.

OP
D

dm95eg

D3v1L80Y said:
Dropping a computer is never a good thing.
I would suggest booting from your install media and running a disk repair.

Both times it dropped were not my fault. My dumb dog ran by and got tangled up on the power cable pulling it off the table whihc is a 3ft drop...wish i had that nifty magnatized thing like the new macbooks. Some how, my discs got scratched. I already attempted to do that but since the discs are scrathched they wouldnt open. Can i find this online?

OP
D

dm95eg

dm95eg said:
Both times it dropped were not my fault. My dumb dog ran by and got tangled up on the power cable pulling it off the table whihc is a 3ft drop...wish i had that nifty magnatized thing like the new macbooks. Some how, my discs got scratched. I already attempted to do that but since the discs are scrathched they wouldnt open. Can i find this online?

Have you ever seen something like whats up with the clock and calculator in dashboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
unfortunately, you cannot get the install discs online. your best (and maybe only) hope, is to take your computer and your scratched discs to an apple store, and try to get replacements, or see if they will give you a fresh install of OSX.

OP
D

dm95eg

sixslinger said:
unfortunately, you cannot get the install discs online. your best (and maybe only) hope, is to take your computer and your scratched discs to an apple store, and try to get replacements, or see if they will give you a fresh install of OSX.

This laptop is only a year and one month old. Do you think they'll charge me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
If it's not covered under warranty they will charge you most likely.

OP
D

dm95eg

SuB8HaVeN said:
If it's not covered under warranty they will charge you most likely.

Bump for any more ideas, this is really pissing me off. I'm about to sell this thing, any buyers? 1000 bucks takes it. 1.25 gb of ram...

OP
D

dm95eg

dm95eg said:
Bump for any more ideas, this is really pissing me off. I'm about to sell this thing, any buyers? 1000 bucks takes it. 1.25 gb of ram...

Is it safe for me to delete itunes, then try to re-download it from apple.com? Will it erase my library?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you need to re-install OSX. If your disks are scratched, then the only way to do this is go to the apple store and beg for replacements. I doubt they will charge you for a new copy, but there may be some nominal fee, like $15 for replacements. I wouldnt delete iTunes and try to download another copy. I dont think your problem is specific to iTunes, but rather a corruption with OSX.

OP
D

dm95eg

sixslinger said:
you need to re-install OSX. If your disks are scratched, then the only way to do this is go to the apple store and beg for replacements. I doubt they will charge you for a new copy, but there may be some nominal fee, like $15 for replacements. I wouldnt delete iTunes and try to download another copy. I dont think your problem is specific to iTunes, but rather a corruption with OSX.

Okay that makes sense. I'll be going to apple when i get home from school today. Thanks everybody.

OP
D

dm95eg

dm95eg said:
Okay that makes sense. I'll be going to apple when i get home from school today. Thanks everybody.

I went to the apple store, and they dont have replacements. They tried to sell me OSX, i'm like why am i spending another 160?

OP
D

dm95eg

dm95eg said:
I went to the apple store, and they dont have replacements. They tried to sell me OSX, i'm like why am i spending another 160?

Anyone willing to send me their discs, and i'll return them when i'm done???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
dm95eg said:
Anyone willing to send me their discs, and i'll return them when i'm done???
That is illegal. You cannot use another person's discs for your computer.
You might be able to find a copy of OS X on eBay or some other auction site for less. Just make sure it is a full, retail version and not another set from another computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i cant believe they tried to sell you a new copy of OSX.....thats a little dissapointing of of Apple in my book.

OP
D

dm95eg

sixslinger said:
i cant believe they tried to sell you a new copy of OSX.....thats a little dissapointing of of Apple in my book.

tell me about it. I ended up buying a new macbook. My powerbook wont even start up now. It stays in that blue screen. I've lost all my music. about 10 gigs worth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.