Connecting my new iMac g3 to the internet?

N

NeatParts

Hi, I've never used a mac before.

I got one of these from someone:

imacbackbberrysmgr2.jpg

And I have no idea how to connect it to the internet. I assume it's able to connect as it has an ethernet port. I tried just plugging my connection in and using the IE browser, but yeah, that didn't work.

I'm sure it's very simple and I'm just missing it, so if someone could let me know how to configure this please let me know.

Thanks,
NP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If you don't have a router, you will have to reboot your modem before trying to use the iMac online.

OP
N

NeatParts

Like a special one for Macs (I'm clueless on Macs, keep that in mind)? I have a 2wire modem, and a linksys router (I just rebooted both). Everything's all hooked up for my PC. I have one more connection slot on the router, and I ran the ethernet cable to the iMac and plugged it in. Nothing.

I get this message:
"Connecting to PPPoE..."

Then I get a cannot connect error.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NeatParts said:
Like a special one for Macs ....
I get this message:
"Connecting to PPPoE..."

Then I get a cannot connect error.
There is no special router or modem for Macs. They are just computers like any other. :black:
You will have to set up your connection for DHCP, not PPPoE.
What OS are you running? The setup is different for OS 9 and OS X, so if you let us know which one you are using, we can help you out getting it going.

OP
N

NeatParts

It's OS 9.something. I don't have a keyboard at this time, so I guess it's kind of pointless. But yeah. OS 9.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You're welcome. :black:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The URL DB gave should help you get it working. If you still after setting everything in the TCP/IP Control Panel, it still does not work, come back and we will see what we can do. I have that Mac here with OS 9.2.2 and working on my network.

OP
N

NeatParts

I just did run:winmsd.exe on my PC, and then got my "dhcp client address", entered that (and only that) in the internet settings of the Mac, and it was online. I assume it's safe... Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.