external display question/power

Q

Quruli

Hey

I am new to Mac and decided to buy a ibook G4 to see if I could get on with the system and it seems excellent. But I would like some advice.

I have a HD LCD and hook up my centrino to it to watch movies etc. I know this is possible with the ibook, but either as a tiled display or as a dual monitor. Is there anyway to have the LCD as the primary and only monitor?

Also is there anyway to get the mac to stay switched on when you close the lid? As if the LCD is the main display then the ibook should be closed and that would mean I can just simply sit it on my TV stand.

Any advice is more than welcome.

OP
S

sursuciofla

Quruli said:
Hey

I am new to Mac and decided to buy a ibook G4 to see if I could get on with the system and it seems excellent. But I would like some advice.

I have a HD LCD and hook up my centrino to it to watch movies etc. I know this is possible with the ibook, but either as a tiled display or as a dual monitor. Is there anyway to have the LCD as the primary and only monitor?

Also is there anyway to get the mac to stay switched on when you close the lid? As if the LCD is the main display then the ibook should be closed and that would mean I can just simply sit it on my TV stand.

Any advice is more than welcome.

Okay now the only thing you can do is mirror the display. But as far as making it dedicated no. You can turn the brightness on the ibook down all the way and the screen will go black which is what I do when I am hooked up.

OP
S

sursuciofla

And second question is no. There are hacks for the ibook for clamshell mode but it is nothing that is native to your computer. Heat is released through the keyboard on ibook and that means heat rising. Do you know how hot your ibook will get and guess where the heat goes? Yep, right to your display and it will eventually ruin it.

I will give some threads on the topic in a few. It is not good to do that at all.

OP
Q

Quruli

Thanks a lot for the great info. Do the MacPro's work in the same?

As that is what I really want but I just want to use the OS for a while before I buy one. But I guess the best way is to get a Mac mini too.

Thanks again.

OP
S

sursuciofla

Quruli said:
Thanks a lot for the great info. Do the MacPro's work in the same?

As that is what I really want but I just want to use the OS for a while before I buy one. But I guess the best way is to get a Mac mini too.

Thanks again.

They say that it is fine to do that on MacBook and MacBook Pro but I would never test the theory. Yeah Mini would be best option for what you want to do. I can't find the thread but it was talked about before referring to the MacBooks. I would strongly advise against it but I guess it is safer than on the G4 predecessors because heat is vented out of the back rather than through the keyboard.

OP
Q

Quruli

Thats cool I will buy a mac mini sometime in the future.

Thanks a lot for the information.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.