Internal or External HD

R

rassumfrassum

I am getting a new hard drive for my G3 laptop. (The 5GB drive it came with is just not enough for anything now that I have OS X.)

So, can I get an internal drive to replace what I have? Would it be easier to get an external drive? If so, would I have trouble if I installed some applications on the external drive[/B ]and wanted to run them from there? Suggestions? Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
external would be easier set up wise but I am not sure how it would work with installing programs to the drive. I know with some of my programs it would not let me select my firewire hd to install because it said they need to be installed on the OS X System Drive.

OP
R

rassumfrassum

Thanks.

What sort of programs did you have trouble with. One of the things that's killing me is that I need to get set up with fink to directly install some Unix software. The software to manage this takes up a few GB on its own. But it's sort of OS X related, so I guess it needs to be on the internal drive. My hope had been to install the infrequently used software (like that) onto the much large external. Then if I travel, I can decide whether to bring the external or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
One thing that you can do is install OS X onto a firewire drive and set that as your bootup folder and if it isnt connected it will just boot with OS X that you have installed on the powerbook

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.