What's up with all the macbook complaints?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I have been reading these forums for the last week or so. My ibook is pooping out, and I am thinking of going for a macbook. After reading these forums, I have pretty much seen nothing but problems with the new macbooks. Does anyone have any good things to say about the macbook? Should I go for one, or wait a bit for apple to work the bugs out? Are these things problem prone, or is it worth investing in one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I know a few people with macbooks and so far, they havent had any problems. My sister has a 15" macbook pro and I have the 17" and neither one of us has had any problems. I think macbooks are good computers, they have a lot to offer and I think they are a good choice for somebody that doesnt need something like the macbook pro. If you want one and need a new computer, go for the macbook, just go to the apple store and mess with one to see how you like it.

S

sursuciofla

jaster said:
I have been reading these forums for the last week or so. My ibook is pooping out, and I am thinking of going for a macbook. After reading these forums, I have pretty much seen nothing but problems with the new macbooks. Does anyone have any good things to say about the macbook? Should I go for one, or wait a bit for apple to work the bugs out? Are these things problem prone, or is it worth investing in one?

They are first generation Intel's for one so it is expected but also since this is a forum, many people come looking for answers to problems or perceived problems. This is the majority here in Mac-Forums but as a whole, the people here with complaints are a minority when you look at customer satisfaction as a complete group.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The majority of people who purchase a product and don't have issues don't post on message boards about their success...but whenever people have problems they vent their issues online in this day and age

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
people, in general, dont go and run around posting about how great things are and how they work perfectly. they post about every quirk they could possibly find
-chris

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand that this is mainly a complaint board, I am just a little apprehensive about getting a new macbook after all the problems with my ibook. I am seriously considering getting a new dell, I just hate to leave the apple family. While there are many features I love about my mac, I have had quite a few problems. Crashing iphoto, crashing safari, bad plug, and super expensive replacement parts, such as $90 for a new a/c adapter. I just hate to get the new macbook and sit and struggle with the same troubles.

Reaction score
jaster said:
I have been reading these forums for the last week or so. My ibook is pooping out, and I am thinking of going for a macbook.Should I go for one, or wait a bit for apple to work the bugs out?

If you've got your eyes on a MacBook then go for it. There will always bugs which need working out, not just with any one mac

jaster said:
Are these things problem prone, or is it worth investing in one?

It is worth the investment and there is no documented proof that they're problem prone. :headphone

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, well i think I am going to give apple one more try. I am going to ut my old ibook on ebay, but before I do, what is the best way to transfer files to the macbook and erase my old ibook? I heard something about connecting the firewire ports on both, but how do I do that? Also will simply re-installing the os erase the ibook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
trpnmonkey41 said:
The majority of people who purchase a product and don't have issues don't post on message boards about their success...but whenever people have problems they vent their issues online in this day and age
coach_z said:
people, in general, dont go and run around posting about how great things are and how they work perfectly. they post about every quirk they could possibly find
-chris
Exactly.
Statistically, when someone has a good experience with a product or service, they will tell approximately 4-5 close relatives or friends.

When something goes wrong with a product or service, a person is more apt to tell as many people as they can no matter what their relationship is to that person.

So, because people are more prone to voice a complaint than an accolade, you don't hear as many success stories.

Think about it... when was the last time you heard about a person who wrote a letter to the trash collector to tell them what a great job they are doing. Weeks and weeks would go by and no such letter would surface. Now imagine if the trash wasn't collected one week... there would be an uprising about what a lousy job the trash collectors are doing.

Or what if a televison manufacturer sold a certain model that had a beautiful picture and great sound... nobody would write emails or post again and again on a forum about how great it is. The minute that model showed any sign of a slight defect, the populous would start a petition or some class-action suit against the company and demand refunds or other "compensation".

The same holds true for the Macbook. Buyers are going to complain about problems as much as they can. Satisfied people are going to be satisfied and quiet.
What needs to be realized is that overall, there are many more satisfied customers, they just don't voice opinion as much. You only hear and notice the "horror stories"... the "squeaky wheel" syndrome. :black:
Western society as a whole takes things for granted and ignores the positives... yet when any sort of negative arises, they protest en masse about it for as long as they can.
:black:

Roo

Reaction score
jaster said:
OK, well i think I am going to give apple one more try. I am going to ut my old ibook on ebay, but before I do, what is the best way to transfer files to the macbook and erase my old ibook? I heard something about connecting the firewire ports on both, but how do I do that? Also will simply re-installing the os erase the ibook?

Wait until you get the Macbook. Get a firewire plug from the Apple store. When you first turn on your Macbook, it will ask you if you'd like to migrate from an old Mac to the new one. You plug the iBook into the Macbook, and just transfer.

Simple as that. :)

When you reinstall the OS, I'm pretty sure it gives you options as to how you'd like to do it, with erase and install (perhaps not that terminology) being one of them.

Reaction score
I just got my MacBook and I love it! no problems at all. I even installed Parallels with Win XP and I am amazed. It runs Windwows faster than my 2 year old Sony Vaio. I couldn't be happier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - White, 2.0Ghz, 1GB Ram, week 35
jaster said:

I have not had any issues with my MB which I've owned for about a month now. Mine has been wonderful.

Reaction score
to be honest i havnt had one problem with my mac book. great screen, runs pretty fast, easy to use of course, the heat issuse was a problem for me but since the updates came out everything has been awsome, i would say if you can pony up the extra 700 dollars get the macbook pro those are awsome but the macbooks work just as well, i think for most people its more like freak out issues cause they pay alot of money and they dont want to feel like they wasted there money but i think its a great purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I'd say go for the macbook. My first one suffered the now famous Random Shut Down issue, and after a couple of failed repairs Apple replaced it with a week 36 machine with all the issues worked out. I couldn't be happier with it (well, maybe if it had an extra gig of RAM or so ...) ;-)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great, Nice to see some happy users. Makes me feel a little better about dumping a nice chunk of money down on a computer. I think I am gonna go for it. Hopefully recover a little bit of the cost when i sell my ibook on ebay. Anyone know how to wipe clean a hard-drive on a g4 ibook? Also whats the best way to transfer personal files from an ibook to a macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
I know a couple of people who own MacBooks and love them...

People like to find every little thing wrong with their new products and complain about it on forums. If there really were "serious problems" with the MacBooks then they would have been recalled long ago.

The same thing happened with the Xbox 360. If you were reading forums about the 360 you would have thought that every unit was seriously flawed by the way people were talking about them, but in actuality it was a miniscule number of machines that had problems.

If you want one, go for it and enjoy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (black) 2.0 core2, 2gigs ram, 120gig HD / 24" iMac, 2.33 core 2, 2 gig, 256 grapics, 500hd
The Macbook for me is my first apple. I have only had it for about 4-5 months and have had 4 major issues.
-Dead pixels = screen replaced
-in the process of replacing the screen all of the clips holding the bezel broke
-Superdrive dead = replaced
-complete hard drive failure = info lose new hard drive

With all of these problems I don't think it will stop me from buying another mac. I think that there products are superior, always ahead of he cure and apple stands behind them. No question.

C

conformnow

I got a white macbook 2.0ghz w/ 1gb of RAM and it is my pride and joy. I only recently ran into a problem (red light, digital out stuck on) but I'm sure that'll get resolved as soon as I find the time to take it in. Other than that it's been the most enjoyable experience I've had with a computer. It's fast, 13" makes it very portable, and the whole thing is gorgeous. It literally turns heads when I bring it into a room and I've convinced most of my friends to make the switch when the time comes. I use my Macbook mostly for productivity apps and the internet so most of my gaming is done on consoles (until I can afford a Mac Pro!) and so I didn't need the upgraded graphics card of the MBP. The integrated graphics chip does handle the Mac OS very well and everything runs great..going to upgrade to 2gb ram since I intentionally had the ram unpaired (1gb chip) but I'm quite impressed with the speed of multi-tasking especially when running Virtue Desktops.

No regrets here! Buy one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
Pulse-8 said:
If you've got your eyes on a MacBook then go for it. There will always bugs which need working out, not just with any one mac

It is worth the investment and there is no documented proof that they're problem prone. :headphone

There was the one issue of the macbook's and pro randomly shutting down and having to be taken in to have the motherboard replaced, but that as a few months back so i would think any macbook's out now would not have this issue any more, the other issue was the discoloration of the wrist rest area.

For very 1 complain, i am sure there is about 100 people completly happy with theirs who will never have a single problem!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Many of the early complaints have been dealt with in the latest firmware updates. I bought one when they first came out and had occasional mooing fans and some heat issues, but since I updated the firmware it has been behaving perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.