What's up with all the macbook complaints?

Reaction score
Exactly.
Statistically, when someone has a good experience with a product or service, they will tell approximately 4-5 close relatives or friends.

When something goes wrong with a product or service, a person is more apt to tell as many people as they can no matter what their relationship is to that person.

So, because people are more prone to voice a complaint than an accolade, you don't hear as many success stories.

Think about it... when was the last time you heard about a person who wrote a letter to the trash collector to tell them what a great job they are doing. Weeks and weeks would go by and no such letter would surface. Now imagine if the trash wasn't collected one week... there would be an uprising about what a lousy job the trash collectors are doing.

Or what if a televison manufacturer sold a certain model that had a beautiful picture and great sound... nobody would write emails or post again and again on a forum about how great it is. The minute that model showed any sign of a slight defect, the populous would start a petition or some class-action suit against the company and demand refunds or other "compensation".

The same holds true for the Macbook. Buyers are going to complain about problems as much as they can. Satisfied people are going to be satisfied and quiet.
What needs to be realized is that overall, there are many more satisfied customers, they just don't voice opinion as much. You only hear and notice the "horror stories"... the "squeaky wheel" syndrome. :black:
Western society as a whole takes things for granted and ignores the positives... yet when any sort of negative arises, they protest en masse about it for as long as they can.
:black:

Do you work for Mac? hehe

You don't see people en masse posting love letters because what purpose does it serve? The only possible function it would serve is to communicate to the powers that be that you like certain things and you don't want those things to change.

Being a squeaky wheel, however, is a means for people to 1. communicate problems in hopes (in vain?) that there will be changes in those problems and 2. to see if others have had similar problems/can offer solutions. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I will say though that I'm in many forums and I post rants and raves ... about computers, bikes, beauty products, etc etc. Working in a service industry, I probably hear 25% raves and 75% rants. C'est la vie.

Footnote: While I was typing this post. the space bar on my mac book began to squeak. BAHHH!!!!! :bone:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You don't see people en masse posting love letters because what purpose does it serve?
Absolutely none. :black: That wasn't my point, though.
Being a squeaky wheel, however, is a means for people to 1. communicate problems in hopes (in vain?) that there will be changes in those problems and 2. to see if others have had similar problems/can offer solutions. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Again, I tend to agree mostly. If a person does have a negative experiece... well that is a big deal to them, as it very well should be at times. However, in today's self-centered society, instead of filing a formal, professional, personal, and singular client to company complaint with the manufacturer, store, service provider, etc... more people are apt to rant and roar as loudly as they can, to try and make it a big deal for the rest of the masses... the majority of whom don't share the same sentiment or experience.
Working in a service industry, I probably hear 25% raves and 75% rants. C'est la vie.
As have I for many, many years. The vast majority of people will never encounter any issues, mishaps, problems, or complaints with something they purchase or pay for. As such, they have no reason to really voice any opinion on the matter. In contrast, the minority of people who do have problems feel compelled to bark about it ... even long after the issue has been reconciled, repaired, reimbursed, and rectified by the company. Rather than accept that the company has made an effort to appease them (and often, the company does), they choose to remain bitter.

My point here is simple: the number of people who have bad experiences are more often than not the vast minority of consumers. While it can be wise to hear what they have to say, one should realize that their experiences are often the extreme worst-case scenario. Just because it may seem that you hear a large amount of negative stories, does not mean that you should expect those negative results or that those stories are the norm.
:black:

Reaction score
I've had my MacBook for just over a month, and have yet to have a problem. (Aside from dropping a dictionary on it. But that was definitely my fault!) So far I've found it a much more satisfying experience than using Windows.

Reaction score
2 weeks ago i would have told you a macbook is one of the best thiings to spend your money on. not now. macbooks have been shutting down randomly. mine did so and cause parallels to shut down improperly so i lost everything i had on windows. and if that's not bad enough. i downloaded the new firmware to fix this problem and now my macbook is a vegtable. i cant turn it on or anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook super
i just dont understand why they cut the iBook line in half when the apple are bigger than ever

i luv my 14" iBook perfect size for me, 13" is just to small for me and dont need the extra features of a Pro
so i think il just get a mini C2D next with the 07 sofware when i comes out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook, Black 5G 60gig IPOD
I have had zero issues/complaints as of yet.

So far I have upgraded the ram, hdd, and reinstalled the os. All of which were simple tasks.

If you want one, I say go for it.

Reaction score
Yup same here. No issues at all with our Macbook c2d as well. No "heat issues" too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.0 intel duo, 1gig ram
got mine before thanksgiving, it's going strong

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz
I have the Core 2 Duo Macbook and have a friend with a MB Pro. We haven't had any issues whatsoever.

My experience has been that the Macbook is a very well thought out product.

I wondered about all the stuff I heard about also- but I haven't had any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook white, 2.0 ghz core duo, 2gb ram, 160gb hd, superdrive
All good here too. This is my first mac and I've had no issues with it. I love the design... it feels very solid (especially the keyboard!) with nice little touches like the magnetic latch.

I have a lot to learn about OS X, but I can already see why people prefer it over Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 1.83GHz C2D, 2Gig ram
I have the 1.83 C2D macbook. Only problem so far is that when transferring files to it from my PC over wireless, if the PC goes into suspend mode before the file transfers (we're talking 800+ meg files) then the macbook transfer window freezes and won't force-quit, requiring a full reboot. I put this down to a OSX interfacing with XP issue though, not the macbook in particular.

Also, I'm not used to the Tiger setup so I have to figure out why sometimes when the macbook is open and it goes into suspend automatically after x minutes, sometimes stroking the trackpad brings it back to life, other times you have to hit the power button to "wake" the mac. I don't think this is a macbook issue either, jut my unfamiliarity with the sleep and suspend settings in OSX10.4 Tiger :)

On a whole, I'm very satified. And if it dies, I'm thinking it will do so within the first year which is warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.0 intel duo, 1gig ram
if you're really worried just get the 3 year warranty, it's not that much money and it could save you 2 years down the road.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel Core Duo
I have only had my macbook for a few days not but compared to my 12" Powerbook, even going from the pro line to the consumer line, I love it. My only compliant is the disk space but thats an easy fix. Go ahead and get one, use it for a week or so, is you don't like it put it neatly back in the box and bring it back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" Intel Core Duo, 200GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 2.0Ghz
like PunkRockTuba said I know 1 person with a black one and 4 with white macbooks, as well as myself with a white one and none of us have had any problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.