iChat - what the heck?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
When someone talks to me on ichat, the text is all scramble and I can't understand what they're saying! I restarted the application and now I can't see anything at all in each window! This is really scary, please help! Sorry for the profanity in the image but it's all I could capture, as absolutely nothing is appearing in the window now. The only thing I can imagine it would be is I just installed an update for Mac OS X!!

ichat.png

Edit: I cut out the profanity.

S

sursuciofla

You might want to edit your picture and cover up the swear words. As I have no problem with it, some people may get offended and I think it is against forum policy anyways.

And yeah that's pretty weird.

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
Alright. I will. Any ideas though?

S

sursuciofla

Go to Apps-->Disk Utility-->Then repair permissions

Restart your computer again too.

After that I don't know...I hardly use chat and never use ichat so I can't help too much.

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i did that and it appears to be working for now....except a digit was just missing on a timestamp...heavily implying that it will happen again...any additional help would be appreciated. thanks.

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so its started to happen again, as well as problems with spotlight, even after repairing disk permissions.

pulse, i'm on Tiger 10.4.8 on a macbook. i just updated yesterday and now these problems are happening...very frustrating...thanks for any help.

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'm almost positive it's the update, can i undo it somehow?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Try deleting your iCaht preference files. do a spotlight search and delete all of the files under documents with the extension .plist

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Didn't work....it made ichat appear as if i was opening it for the first time, but it's in a sense worse because now i cant even type in the blank window....

Reaction score
Fromasta Flex said:
Didn't work....it made ichat appear as if i was opening it for the first time, but it's in a sense worse because now i cant even type in the blank window....

It might be a font issue but unfortunately I don't have the experience to advise you...

From what I've gleaned from the web some people have had similiar problems with updating Panther (before Tiger) and claimed to have successfully fixed things by performing an Archive and Install.

I would advise you to stick around until someone can specifically diagnose this further....

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, thanks for the help. I'll be on most of the evening. I bought this macbook in july so obviously it came with Tiger. The only other problem I'm having is with spotlight, shown here:
spotlight.png

Due to the scrambled text it seems to be related.

Reaction score
There are some really clever people here and this should be all sorted for you before too long, hopefully.

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot!

L

Logan

Fromasta Flex said:
When someone talks to me on ichat, the text is all scramble and I can't understand what they're saying! I restarted the application and now I can't see anything at all in each window! This is really scary, please help! Sorry for the profanity in the image but it's all I could capture, as absolutely nothing is appearing in the window now. The only thing I can imagine it would be is I just installed an update for Mac OS X!!

ichat.png

Edit: I cut out the profanity.

http://www.adiumx.com/

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It says there were no problems. If any of you are familiar with EyeTV software, I've noticed that I can no longer see the channel names as well.....should I just reinstall OS X? i'd rather not, but i'm always open to an easy solution.

Reaction score
OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried the disk utility on the disc that came with my computer, it said there was nothing to repair. i also repaired permissions AGAIN while i was at it. i'm back on now, and everything seems to be in order....for now. if the problems come back i will keep you posted.

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well the problems are back. already. here we go again...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.