what goes were?

A

artweek

Hey ive got my ibook with the airport extreme card completelly ready to run with my airport extreme dock the modem was usb so i had to set it up using ethernet using dhcp, however when im wanting to use it its telling me, there doesnt seem to be anything connected to the airport base station wan connection, this is where i got lost where is all the cables meant to go to?

thanks for the help shane

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well your DSL or cable modem needs to be connected via Ethernet cable to the Airport base station. If you have the airport extreme, I think you have 2 ethernet jacks: You need to plug it into the WAN/DSL port.
Then you need to set up the base station with the airport admin utility.
After that

OP
A

artweek

Thanks im still lost slightly at the mo
my modem is connected to the computer as usual through usb and the airpot isnt connected to the computer what cable goes where?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right: airport = wireless, so by connecting your airport base station to your mac with a cable, you'd kind of miss the point.

The airport base station hooks up to an ethernet port on your dsl or cable modem. No USB.

Your iBook doesn't need any wires - the internal airport card will pick up the wireless signal from your airport base station and will transmit the internet data to you from the model you've plugged into it.

Let me see... pictures help:

networking.jpg

P.S. Omnigraffle rocks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Very helpful diagram you got going there aptmunich!

As aptmunich stated, you do not need any wires or anything going to your iBook, since you now have the airport all wires that use to go to the iBook to connect you to the internet, now go to the Airport. This means the iBook can be carried around or in any position any where in your house and you will not have to worry at all about wires anymore!

OP
A

artweek

yea i got all this lol its just that my modem is usb, so it cant plus into the airport base station. thats why im asking how do i use it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
What kind of modem do you have, what confuses me is I don't know of any modem that has only usb.

Do you have DSL, Cable, or dial up?

If lets say you have dial up, you can plug the phone line directly into the airport extreme and that will become your modem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, you'll need a different DSL modem then. You need one that uses an ethernet connection to connect to the airport router as it doesn't support USB afaik.

Yours is only designed to be connected directly to a computer, not to a wireless router.
Maybe contact your ISP and see if they can offer you a different model instead.

Something that has an ethernet connector like this:
http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/prod510v6.asp?menuCurrPos=2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.