Re-installing OSX

W

WillPryor

I've had my macbook pro for a few months now, been using it for a lot of my work which now means its jam packed of programs and files i no longer need now my computer at work is sorted. I'm pretty new to macs, so i wanted to know how easy it is to format the hard drive and re-install OSX? Is it advisable and is it as easy as formatting a PC?

Thanks

Reaction score
Mac is not like windows so you don't really have to reinstall but I know what you mean and it is nice to start clean. First back-up your home directory. You can restore your mail this way as well as other things like address book. Then reboot with the restore CD and hold the C key while booting. The CD has Disk Utility on it so I usally erase Macintosh HD first but I think you can also do an "erase and install".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yeah, there is absolutely no need to reinstall the OS.
Just delete the apps and files you don't need anymore and you will be fine.

OP
W

WillPryor

Well i used my Osx installation disks and that worked just fine. i had cocktails but i was still having permission issues which is one of the other reasons i reinstalled. I now have a lovely clean mac book pro.
Oh the joy, its just like the morning i opened that wonderful box. :mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.