Roboform for Mac OS X

M

MacWannabe

It looks like they've finally heard our cry and seen the light... the Roboform people say they are now considering a Mac version.

While 1Passwd and others have made a valiant effort, at the end of the day no matter how well they do it *still* there still won't be a cross platform solution unless Roboform make it.

Let's hope the numbers make sense... if you're a Roboform fan like I am let them know you want a Mac version too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
At one time I requested exactly the same thing here, but over time, I found that if I use FireFox (which I like anyway):

1) I can use GreaseMonkey to force passwords to save where auto-complete is set to off (banking sites as one example). So, that covers one "must-have".
2) If I "arrow down" in a user-name field, my list of previously used user names appear, and the corresponding password is (if saved) filled. That's the other feature I can't do without.

So, at least with FireFox, what I need is accomplished very cleanly. I'm a big fan of RoboForm, believe me, but they waited to long. Now I feel that I don't need it.

Edit: The other nice thing about using FireFox, is that I don't need to grab 3x weekly updates. Ok, so maybe I exaggerated a bit, but between RoboForm and Nero, I'm not sure who puts out more updates. ;-)

OP
M

MacWannabe

geekboy2000 said:
I'm a big fan of RoboForm, believe me, but they waited to long. Now I feel that I don't need it.

I think the biggest advantage will be cross platform compatibility. If I can keep my passwords on a USB key and take them to clients using mac or PC I'll be very happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacWannabe said:
I think the biggest advantage will be cross platform compatibility. If I can keep my passwords on a USB key and take them to clients using mac or PC I'll be very happy.

Good point, and a situation I never thought of. Well, if anybody can do it right, AiRoboForm can. I registered 1passwd, but removed it. It kept saving (or wanting to save) passwords over and over again for the same sites. Others, it never offered to save.

OP
M

MacWannabe

geekboy2000 said:
Good point, and a situation I never thought of. Well, if anybody can do it right, AiRoboForm can. I registered 1passwd, but removed it. It kept saving (or wanting to save) passwords over and over again for the same sites. Others, it never offered to save.

I find that too. Some things it never offers to save, others it saves over and over again with "Autosaves".

The guys at 1Passwd really seem nice, but I get the feeling they're in over their head and re-inventing the wheel. Roboform has been doing this for years, and their accumulated knowledge on how to build this kind of app can't be replicated by two guys overnight. I don't think they should be charging for 1Passwd in its current state.

BTW - 1Passwd is releasing updates faster than Roboform ever did!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacWannabe said:
I find that too. Some things it never offers to save, others it saves over and over again with "Autosaves".

The guys at 1Passwd really seem nice, but I get the feeling they're in over there head in re-inventing the wheel. Roboform has been doing this for years, and their accumulated knowledge on how to build this kind of app can't be replicated by two guys overnight. I don't think they should be charging for 1Passwd in its current state.

BTW - 1Passwd is releasing updates faster than Roboform ever did!

In retrospect, I agree, 1Passwd isn't ready for prime time. At the same time, I don't mind throwing a few bucks at a worthy project. Hey, maybe it's me that brings a curse down upon software. Whenever I don't register something, it works just fine. As soon as I hand over my cash, it goes flushing and swirling. :)

OP
M

MacWannabe

geekboy2000 said:
Whenever I don't register something, it works just fine. As soon as I hand over my cash, it goes flushing and swirling. :)

I'd sooo pre-pay right now for a Mac version of Roboform. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.