spazer

I just ordered by first Mac, it's a 24" iMac:

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600 GT w/256
500GB Serial ATA Drive
SuperDrive 8X (DVDR-DL/CD-RW)
Wireless Keyboard and Wireless Mighty Mouse

This will be my first Mac ever. I used to HATE Macs, especially back in the early OS 9 days. I used to be the computer tech at a school with about 500 macs and 500 PCs. I couldn'd stand working on the Macs, and always felt like they took so much more work to keep running.

Fast forward several years, and the world of Macs have changed quite a bit. They're running Intel processors, and running a new OS based on UNIX. I especially like the ability to run WinXP, and like the setup of this particular generation of iMacs. I decided to give the 24" iMac a shot... I've never really used OS X, and plan on running WinXP most of the time, but I'm willing to dabble on the Mac side. I'm excited!

Estimated shipping is Oct 13... I can't wait!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
Good luck, oh and I warn you that once you start using OSX is incredibally hard to go back to Windows XP, Vista on the over hand is much more similar to OSX so thats not a problem.
Anyway ive had my iMac since friday and been loving it, im sure you will to :D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
lol yep! its only been a week for me on Mac OS X and when i have to use the PC downstairs the screen looks crap, the xp theme looks out dated and the basic click and go in XP compare to Mac OS X Expose and the dock is a clear winner, I am very happy with switching and like you i used to hate macs. infact i was in trainning for an MCSE (look it up) ;)

I wont switch back and am now on a warpath to promote Macs and get my family switched!

Nothing gets close to this iMac!

I am having internet problems over the wireless but my Antenna should be here monday morning to boost that weak signal (even though i had no problem on the pc that was before the mac) which is odd but im hoping the Antenna will kick it into shape. if not il just get the router moved.

I have heard people say they got screen problems or hardware like it switching on itself. NO problems here.

Good luck and enjoy the transition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Good Luck.
I ordered my 20" on Friday

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
Kilted1 said:
Good Luck.
I ordered my 20" on Friday

Hope it gets to you soon, I know mine could not come quick enough :miner:

OP
P

pbook24

when i bought my iMac, fed ex lost it. the worst 3 days if my life when it was still in CAL. on th delivery date, im in NY.

OP
S

spazer

Woohoo, my iMac has been shipped ahead of schedule! It's still in China this morning, but has an estimated delivery date of this Friday!

OP
F

freakout

Wow, some body's rackin' in the money! Sheesh

Hope everything turns out good for ya, I order mine around Christmas. I'm going to get a 20" with upgraded ram and maybe GPU. I just wish it was cheaper so I can afford it right now, haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24 inch imac 4 gig ram 320 gig hdd. MB C2D 320 gig hd 4 gig ram, 8 gig iphone
congrats on the switch. You will enjoy it trust me. I have the 24inch imac as well but I'm returning it in favor of a mac pro with a 30inch cinema display. I run way too many apps at one time. Other than that the 24 inch imac is friggin sweet!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24 inch imac 4 gig ram 320 gig hdd. MB C2D 320 gig hd 4 gig ram, 8 gig iphone
Bizquik said:
congrats on the switch. You will enjoy it trust me. I have the 24inch imac as well but I'm returning it in favor of a mac pro with a 30inch cinema display. I run way too many apps at one time. Other than that the 24 inch imac is friggin sweet!
picked up my Mac pro last night with a 30 inch cinema display and an extra gig of ram. I can't wait to play with my mac some today. i was up until midnight setting it up. I'm tired today. My mac pro is a beast!

Reaction score
Frankly speaking, if you're buying an iMac to run Windows on it - don't! Because the iMac does help you with drivers etc. but full support for any Windows peripheral can get real anal. Mac's aren't meant to run windows, but they *can*.

And as stated above, once you use OSX for a bit, you'll wonder why humans waste time on windows.

OP
S

spazer

Woohoo! My iMac arrived early! It arrived last friday, which was about one week ahead of the estimated delivery date.

I've been loving it so far. I think I've pretty much figured out the basics on the OS. There's some things I like, and some things I don't. One thing I've noticed, it seems OSX doesn't multitask quite as effectively as WinXP. When I have a few applications running, the system seems to randomly slow down and give sluggish response. I very rarely experience that with WinXP.

I already installed WinXP on the iMac... mostly to run games. I love the performance! I ran Call of Duty 2 at maximum resolution with all the settings turned to high, and it runs very smooth!

OP
S

sursuciofla

Be sure you use windows at least once a week. I recently found that I lost my Windows swagger when I tried to work on a website on a Dell after a year of hardly no Windows use. :black:

Reaction score
Planning to buy imac 17" or 20"

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying imac 17" or 20" 2.0 or 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo respectively. I was/am completely on windows till now and now switching to apple. My main requirements are graphics and web designing.

But there are few points which are bugging me, even though I have digged out enough info I could about apple/imac. I am personally satisfied with whatever I have read and understood, but would want to be doubly sure imacs don't disappoint me and make me repent for changing lanes.

I would appreciate if anyone can give me their opinions/advice.....

1) what does this mean?? ( "Photoshop on the Mac OS X still suffers from the fact that it has to run in a special emulation mode, but the iMac's mobile Core 2 Duo chip and the added memory help things along" )

2) Is it good enough for heavy graphics work ( photoshop if it works properly ) , dreamweaver, animation....etc

3) Is it really tough getting hang of the Mac OS if one is not a mac user.

Thanks all
Kaps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
1) Adobe CS2 was created for the PowerPC processing architecture, not the new Intel architecture. There is an invisible program called "Rosetta" on the new Intel Macs that allow PowerPC apps to run, but they run at slower speeds.

2) Yes.

3) It's not if you don't try to compare it to Windows. You will have a hard time if you sit down at the iMac for the first time and think "Ok, where's the Start bar?".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Since Apple switched over to Intel processors, older programs have to run through an emulation program called Rosetta. This is invisible to the user - it all happens in the background as the operating system converts code from the old language into the new Intel one. The result is slightly slower performance in some tasks, but in most programs running through the emulator, you won't notice anything.

Photoshop and Dreamweaver are due to be released for Intel (dubbed 'Universal') next spring. The current versions are still perfectly fine to use - starting up takes a little longer and applying filters too, but overall it's still rapid.

OS X is really easy to get the hang of, and after using it for a while, Windows XP seems really outdated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.