Playing WMV on Intel Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Before Apple switched to intel, we had a program that would allow us to install codecs for wmv into quicktime. It was called Flip4Mac, and it allowed us to open up wmv files that were not DRM'd in quicktime. Since the intel switch this program is simply not yet universal, and I know alot of switchers are wondering how they can watch these videos.

I have to spread the word that you now can watch these videos. :)

I don't know why apple would want to give people this option, but it does com in handy in cases like this. You can open universal apps in rosetta so they act like they are on a ppc computer. Go to your applications menu and click on quicktime then tell it to open in rosetta, this will allow you to open up wmv files in quick time, when flip4mac is installed. When you want to get better performance and are using .mov files and not .wmv files you can go back and tell it not to run in rosetta making all things how they use to be... Have fun watching videos, hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
hmm, I just used flip4mac on my macbook and all is fine. I didn't know about that preference setting, but without altering it, both .wmv and .mov files work beautifully for me in quicktime, even when it comes to internet movies that launch through browsers - still no troubles.

What I did, was select a .wmv file, and select 'open with' in info, and 'set all' to open with quicktime. It hasn't given me any troubles at all. .wmv files don't have a quicktime icon (just a generic document icon) but still launch and play fine in quicktime.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh interesting, mine have a quicktime icon and do not play unless quicktime is in rosetta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
forgive my stupid question but how do I open qicktime through rosetta

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no worries not a stupid question, i thought is said how to do it. click on the quicktime application and click "get info" then click the check box that says "open in rosetta"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
awesome! I should download it and stop doing this stupid work around, lol I installed flip4mac a while ago, and just learned today that this could be done

well, I guess this was a stupid thread then lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
thanks pbg4.

Also my computer seems to be working like dtownley1's. I just set it to run with quicktime always and now it works without rosetta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch iMac / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 gHz / 1 GB RAM / 250gb hd / Black iPod Nano 2nd gen 8gb
I am trying to play a wmv file through VLC Media Player (which on my Windows based machine plays everything, including .avi files).

Do I need flip4mac? Or is something else the problem? It's weird, my iMac manages to play one or two wmv files, but the rest don't work. You can only hear the audio through VLC. How do I solve this?

Reaction score
flip4mac

hi guys! just bought a macbook yesterday and I don`t know NOTHING!!! lol
is tis flip4mac a software or a plugin for the quick time?? is it for free?
thanks heaps!

Reaction score
Hi mate, i've just done what you said.. the problem is.. the screen of my .mov, when is playing, keeps small!! is that because i'm in a trial version??

hmm, I just used flip4mac on my macbook and all is fine. I didn't know about that preference setting, but without altering it, both .wmv and .mov files work beautifully for me in quicktime, even when it comes to internet movies that launch through browsers - still no troubles.

What I did, was select a .wmv file, and select 'open with' in info, and 'set all' to open with quicktime. It hasn't given me any troubles at all. .wmv files don't have a quicktime icon (just a generic document icon) but still launch and play fine in quicktime.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.