Program that seeks out all pictures?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac
Does such a program exist? Is there a particular way to adjust the search feature to find all pictures that aren't within Iphoto?

In my process of trying to import all of my photos from multiple media - cd, zip drive, network, etc - I have also imported a mass amount of duplicates because in each place all the photos were named and organized differently.

I can go through iphoto and find copies that way and get rid of them - but how thorough is that? Iphoto confuses me, I've tried to permently delete pictures through that program but, yet, the originals remain...What's the one way I can be sure to get all copies of each picture with one swipe? Will a picture be completely and absolutely deleted if I trash it in the can outside of Iphoto?

Thank you - I'm trying to organize a decade worth of pictures and my head's about to explode because of the multiple copy syndrome AND Iphoto makes further copies of each of those copies - I swear my computer's being taken over!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can set iPhoto to NOT copy files when adding them to library in the preferences. And iPhoto won't erase the photos unless you empty the trash in iPhoto

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
If Picassa has a version for MAC it does this. I had loaded it on a laptop a couple years ago, the process took a long time however after telling it to create a library it found photographs (jpegs and other formats) on the drive that had been long forgotten.

Reaction score
I've used Picasa with both XP and Linux and it works great. It found all my pictures on the HD very quickly. Come to think of it - I need to find out if they do support the Mac format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
trpnmonkey41 said:
You can set iPhoto to NOT copy files when adding them to library in the preferences. And iPhoto won't erase the photos unless you empty the trash in iPhoto

So you can put photographs into iPhoto without the files being duplicated in the iPhoto library? That would be convienent as I only add them to iPhoto to create slideshows for DVD...will have to find that option and turn it on/off.

Reaction score
PapaNoHair said:
I've used Picasa with both XP and Linux and it works great. It found all my pictures on the HD very quickly. Come to think of it - I need to find out if they do support the Mac format.

Just found out (unfortunately); copied this from the Picasa website:

"Picasa isn't currently available for Mac OS. Right now we're putting all of our energy into making Picasa the best program we can. We realize that a lot of digital photographers would like us to offer a Mac version, and we may consider this option in the future."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.