Cannot load or play certain CD's

K

kjellquist

Not sure is this is a hardware problem or iTunes problem. Basically out of the hundreds of discs I loaded to iTunes about 6-7 cannot be read or played in my iBook G4. I put the disc in and the drive keeps spinning up then down, clicking and making noise, but it cannot do anything with the disc. Sometimes it kicks it right back out and other times I have to start/stop iTunes and eject the dics like 10 times before it actually comes out. Any thoughts?

Also, how much noise does the normal iBook combo drive make when a disc is inserted. I was suprised at mine...some kinda loud clicks coming in and out.

I ran both hardware tests and they are clean, but I don't know if the combo drive is even included in those tests.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
my powerbook drive does that sometimes

whenever it doesnt read a disc if i pop it back in it will read it again

OP
A

adam taylor

hmm, some discs do this to my (pc), not tried them in the ibook yet. i think its some kind of copy protection? a couple of discs simply imobilised the pc, odly though the same discs work in the 2nd cd drive on the pc. but in the first they make similar noises to you describe. when i used to test computer games it was that noise that told us the PSX / PS2 etc was having trouble reading the disc, cleaning it or tipping the PSX / PS2 on its side would help for some odd reason! try that with the ibook ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.