powermac g5 from imac core duo

P

pbook24

currently i have a blackbook and imac core duo, 17 ". My macbook beats the imac in everything except graphics. Before i got my imac i seriously considered a g5 dual 2.0, but the money wasnt there. I see an apple refurb dual 2.0 for 1599, and im sure i cud get one a lot cheaper used here or on another board. How much of a performance increase will i see IN APERTURE going to the PM, if any? i would need a good increase to justify it, and eve then im not sure my parents would be ok with me spending a few hundred bucks to upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Personally I would stick with the iMac. The performance difference will be small if any, and you're better off with the x86 Core Duo than the PowerPC G5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The G5's have a maximum of 2 HD's

OP
P

pbook24

woops, i thought it was 4. still a lot easier to upgrade, and twice as many.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The MacPro has 4 bays now but the G5's only had room for 2 because of all of the cooling necessary for the G5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Well you also have to keep in mind that PowerPC is at a dead end. Sooner or later a new release of OSX is going to only support the x86 Intel-based Macs and you will be at a loss. That said, it's not stopping me from buying a 12" G4 PowerBook...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
SuB8HaVeN said:
Well you also have to keep in mind that PowerPC is at a dead end. Sooner or later a new release of OSX is going to only support the x86 Intel-based Macs and you will be at a loss. T
That day won't be for a quite a few years to come, I would hardly consider it a "dead end" just yet. :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.