bootcamp on seperate hd??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
Ok i updated my firmware to fix the slow hd speed with windows xp. I installed a second hd in my mac. OS X detects it but bootcamp says I can only install windows on the booted hd (macintosh HD). How do I put it on a seperate hd?

thanks
robert

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not trying to use an external hd. I have a seperate internal SATA drive. I though bootcamp supported that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
mr g5 said:
I'm not trying to use an external hd. I have a seperate internal SATA drive. I though bootcamp supported that?
It might not be external, but it is a second HD and it is still the same principle.
:black:
Even from the official Apple link:
It requires an Intel-based Mac with a single partition, Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later, and the latest available firmware.
:black:

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I cant use this hard drive for windows xp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Nope, has to be on the system drive

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can someone else comment before I go ahead with this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I don't see why you are looking for other comments, its a pretty definitive answer. You can only install XP via bootcamp on a single partitioned machine

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you think the next bootcamp wil support this? Also Can I share files between the two os's? like word documents?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just for future reference, boot camp 1.1.1 can install xp on a seperate interenal hard drive. I am currently running it on a seperate drive now and it works perfect.

The people from http://discussions.apple.com/ helped me, so If you have any questions go to that forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2Ghz
so do you reckon this will work on an external hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83ghz/1.5gb RAM/ Superdrive/ 1 TERAbyte of storage on firewire and a 22" Viewsonic LCD
You know let me breathe some new life into this discussion.

I've got the MBP w/ an 80gb hdd. I can only spare 10gbs for xp and im out of space at that. I've got an external 2.5 drive that I'd LOVE to use as an xp drive.

I think what the OP was eluding to when he asked for more comments was that the Mac community is infamous for wanting to do something and pulling together and getting a solution out to the masses. Telling him that "its a definative answer" and trying to close it is ... I don't know.. rude I guess, especially when there are other people in the same thread saying otherwise. I'm sorry if this forum doesn't have the answer, but that doesnt mean that others don't.

As for my own research, AH, I'd say yes... its possible, but you'll have to work at it. Read the links above and see what happens. I would assume that yes, eventually Apple will see thelight and give users the option to boot from an external drive. Apple has been famous for that ability for years with the powerbooks and such. Just remember that Google is your friend. Don't let people tell you something isn't possible.

Look at the MBP's and the heat issue. People here have been saying since their intro that there was no solution, but I found one on another forum and postedit here!

Good luck,
J

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'm not sure if you can, I do know that if you did it would be a "work around". In my case apple supported it but I did not know how to do it. There are many threads about this on seperate forums. go to google.com and type "boot camp on external drive".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.