Adventures Getting Tabbed Browsing Working in Safari

D

darcyl

So I'm trying to get tabbed browsing to work in Safari. I read all the posts saying "Just go to Preferences in the Safari menu and set it there" but I can't find the menu! I'm right clicking all over the place on the Safari window hoping that somehow I'll hit the magic spot that some devious Mac programmer deemed to be the "menu spot". Maybe its one of those keyboard shortcuts, I thought. Something like Control+Option+Tab+O+K.

Then I look up.

So here's the lesson for all my fellow Winfiends-turned-Macheads:
Look up...see the menu at the very top of your screen (not active window...look for the blue apple logo in the top left corner)? The program name of whatever the active window is will appear there, and that's where the menu can be found.

At first I thought "How stupid" but the more I thought about it, it totally unclutters the windows itself, giving more real estate to the stuff that matters.

So yeah, just FYI.

DL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Lol, good to know you eventually found it. I do like how that works, it works nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5, iBook, 60gb iPod Photo, iPod mini and two shuffles
What is the benefit of tabbed browsing, i just enabled it and it didnt seem to do anything of use, am I missing something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
picture2hb3.png

Tabbed browsing allows you to open up a bunch of pages within a single window. If you look at my attachment you will see I have 4 mf windows and an apple page open in a single firefox window

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Here's what Safari looks like with tabs...

(I open all my unread threads in tabs and work through them that way - it saves me jumping back and forward and helps me remember which ones I haven't looked at yet :))

tabbed.jpg

OP
S

Scott

Hey

I too am using Safari, what i wanted it to do it use only one Safari window and any links that are clicked, open in a new tab. Is this possible to do? Seems now it doesnt open a tab in the window, it just opens a who new window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Scott said:
Hey

I too am using Safari, what i wanted it to do it use only one Safari window and any links that are clicked, open in a new tab. Is this possible to do? Seems now it doesnt open a tab in the window, it just opens a who new window.

apple click links to open them in new tabs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger

Dex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 ghz C2D 4 GB RAM
can't you enable links to open in a new tab through safari's preferences?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.