2.16GHz or 2.33GHz?

F

freakout

I've been configuring and reconfiguring my iMac order to fit my loose budget, and I was wondering if the upgrade from the 2.16GHz processor to the 2.33GHz processor is worth the $250? What category of use would the 2.33GHz fall under? (Like "it's only good for people that use big programs like final cut pro")

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
Well the 2.33GHz could add some performance increase however its only around 200MHz more, and at least from benchmarks ive seen adds little in the way of more power under most usage. Ive been running Photoshop CS2 (which runs under Rosetta) and at 2.16GHz with 1GB of RAM its running sharp and smooth, it handles multi tasking great as well.

Personally I would save the 250 but it might be best to go to a Apple store and test both if you think you need the extra 200MHz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
freakout said:
What category of use would the 2.33GHz fall under? (Like "it's only good for people that use big programs like final cut pro")
It would fall under the "look at me, I spent $250 more to have the 'biggest and best' iMac I could buy at the current time" category. :black:
Seriously, the 170 Mhz difference is hardly noticable.
I would skip the 2.33 Ghz and use that money to get more RAM from a 3rd party retailer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24 inch imac 4 gig ram 320 gig hdd. MB C2D 320 gig hd 4 gig ram, 8 gig iphone
D3v1L80Y said:
It would fall under the "look at me, I spent $250 more to have the 'biggest and best' iMac I could buy at the current time" category. :black:
I would skip the 2.33 Ghz and use that money to get more RAM from a 3rd party retailer.
I agree here. Spend the extra money on ram. It will pay off in the long run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
More ram = More power (Ram = a Type of goat with extreme pushing power) lol

Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:

You still recommend 3rd party ram with Apples low price? I couldn't find any that beat Apples price. Any vendors you recommend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
ripfrankwhite said:
You still recommend 3rd party ram with Apples low price? I couldn't find any that beat Apples price. Any vendors you recommend?

Do you mean that you can't buy two 1 GB sticks from a third party cheaper than the upgrade from 1 GB to 2 GB on the iMac? From what I've seen it is close. As far as buying the RAM from Apple goes, two 1 GB PC2-5300 sticks are $600. The upgrade price ($250) is close to what you'll pay for new third party RAM without factoring in selling the old RAM.

OP
F

freakout

I already know about the ram, I will be upgrading to 2GB (3GB is a little steep for me, I don't think I need it either) but I wasn't sure about the processor, so I think I'll pass. Thanks for the help guys! Saved me $250. =P

OP
F

freakout

Also, (I know it's not really on the subject but I found it useless to start a new thread) if I purchase the 3 year Apple protection plan, it says "up to 3 years of world class support"

Does this also extend the WARRANTY to 3 years? Or just support?

And, is the GPU worth upgrading to 256MB? Will it make a difference? What category of use?

Thanks again for all you're guys help, this is a fantastic forum. Thank God for google!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
I upgraded the GPU becuase if I ever wanted to play games then I most likely could, also because some apps such as graphically intense apps, modeling apps etc would benefit from the extra power.

However the extra GPU power will not really benefit iTunes, iLife apps and other built in programs as far as im aware. Im pretty sure Final Cut does not even benefit from the extra power, but not too sure about that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The RAM is the most noticeable improvement in the broadest sense, however depending what you do then others can be great improvements to, if you do gaming, 3D modeling etc then the GPU upgrade would be great for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" - 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB, NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600 GT w/256; Mac Mini 1.66GHz Intel
I might have missed something here, can you - on your own - upgrade the iMac 24" Ram?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.