Getting First APPLE

Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm gona get a new Apple!!
sigh im gonna get a Macbook, i have decided against the Pro..
umm i am gonna get a white one that has a 2.0 Ghz
and wad im not sure is that wad ram should i get??
like i mean.. here are details of myself and wad im gonna use it for

I am going into year 11
Hoping to use this laptop till start of Uni
I take Intro Calc, G&T,English Lit,Chem,Physics, COmputer Science
I will be using it definitely about 5 - 8 hours a day and mainly for basic work and maybe for Computer Science as well
im not sure about the course and the system requirements but im sure it will only need like macromedia and the sort..

The Questions!

1. Wad ram do i need?
2. I have also been wondering about the white colour, is that such a big deal when it comes to dirt and stuf.f.?
3. Wads the diff with glossy?? and non glossy which one shud i get??
4. Wadsup with the battery charging stuff.. like how do i preserve the battery.. i heard lots of stuff bout that

Thanks any help will be very APPRECIATED!!
HzL

Reaction score
huazhelei said:
Hey everyone I'm gona get a new Apple!!
sigh im gonna get a Macbook, i have decided against the Pro..
umm i am gonna get a white one that has a 2.0 Ghz
and wad im not sure is that wad ram should i get??
like i mean.. here are details of myself and wad im gonna use it for

I am going into year 11
Hoping to use this laptop till start of Uni
I take Intro Calc, G&T,English Lit,Chem,Physics, COmputer Science
I will be using it definitely about 5 - 8 hours a day and mainly for basic work and maybe for Computer Science as well
im not sure about the course and the system requirements but im sure it will only need like macromedia and the sort..

The Questions!

1. Wad ram do i need?
2. I have also been wondering about the white colour, is that such a big deal when it comes to dirt and stuf.f.?
3. Wads the diff with glossy?? and non glossy which one shud i get??
4. Wadsup with the battery charging stuff.. like how do i preserve the battery.. i heard lots of stuff bout that

Thanks any help will be very APPRECIATED!!
HzL

G'day HzL and welcome to Mac-Forums!

Congrats for whenever you finally receive your MB!

1. When you ask what ram you need....It really depends on what you'll be doing. Check this link: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=260272&postcount=4

2. I can't comment cos I got a iMac G5 desktop....I would think that the white would show up more grime.

3. From what I've read on this forum, the glossy brings out amazing colours but it's apparantly difficult to see anything on the screen when your outdoors....the matte seems to be the overall choice for indoor and outdoor use...it depends on you whether or not you'll use the MB outdoors at all, but thats what I've read.

4. If you do a quick search of the forum this question has definately already been covered....

Hope you have a great time when you get your MB~

OP
huazhelei
Reaction score
hey thanx alot!!
uhh yea i doubt i'll be using it much outdoors..
yea i heard that the white ends up being dirty but it cant be that bad rite.. lol i think i'll have to like clean it once in a while.. that i dont mind
yeah i searched up that battery stuff but i dont quite get it haha
oh well.. im gonna get it in like december so i have heaps of time to think about it haha
thanks for your time!!
=D

Reaction score
huazhelei said:
hey thanx alot!!
uhh yea i doubt i'll be using it much outdoors..
yea i heard that the white ends up being dirty but it cant be that bad rite.. lol i think i'll have to like clean it once in a while.. that i dont mind
yeah i searched up that battery stuff but i dont quite get it haha
oh well.. im gonna get it in like december so i have heaps of time to think about it haha
thanks for your time!!
=D

~You're most welcome~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod
you need 2 gigs

OP
huazhelei
Reaction score
so CWMac, did you check out the details about me?
well do you think i actually need it or not?
my current computer is..
Intel Pentium 4
2.6 Ghz
2x256 mb RAM

now its a bit slow for me.. but uhh btw when u get a 80 GB HDD, does it come in two harddrives or one big one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
One big one.

Just a PS, the core duo will totally smoke your p4 in terms of performance.

OP
huazhelei
Reaction score
alrite but i heard that the core duo means that it is twice as fast..
so does that mean its like 4.0 Ghz actually?
lol sounds insane to me.....
yea.. wad do u mean just a PS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2GHZ Intel Core Duo, 60GB HD, 2GB DDRAM
I'm a college student myself. And i recently bought a mac book. heres my 2 cent...

i got the macbook 2 GHZ with 512 RAM stock. and 60 GB Hard Drive

i knew when i started, i wanted to get more RAM because my older laptops had 1 RAM as well. I hear macs perform much cleaner and faster but i still wanted to atleast match my old specs.

when i got the macbook with 512 ram, it ran a little slow for my taste. I'm a heavy user, so the minute i got it, i ran microsoft word, fire fox, ichat (AIM for MAC), itunes, and a torrent program to download right away. the 512 RAM wasn't really able to keep up with my multitasking. it actually lagged and counted seconds before apps would open. once i upgrade to 2 GB RAM, everything ran smooth as and crisp. on the average i would have maybe 2 fire fox windows, itunes cranking, limewire or bit torrent, ichat, and micrsoft word. and sometimes i even throw in other programs like dream weaver. but with 2GB RAM, your unstoppable. but perhaps 1GB RAM would do you just fine. Personally i would get the 512 stock and upgrade to the 2GB RAM, because the 2GB RAm is only around 200 bucks on newegg.com. as a student u already save 100 discount, so your spending about 100 for a 1.5 RAM upgrade.

hard drive space...i got my mac for a week, and im running out of space already lol. i used 40 GB already and am looking for a external as we speak. personally i think the 60 GB is enough, once i get a external HD. externals HDs are relatively cheap nd you can get one around 70 on ebay with 200GB space. (50 to 60 is your lucky). if your using it just for the sole purpose of schoo, i think 60 GB would do u justice. with music and videos, you'd def. need more than 80.

well theres my 2 cent... hope i helped.

OP
huazhelei
Reaction score
thank you so much that definitely helped!!
so pretty much im thinking as of now..
get the 2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB Harddrive
coz u know i luv my music ahhaha
well i got another question
haha SORRY GUYSZ!
uhh black or white??
i heard the black is like 200 bucks more exp but the white gets dirty easily or sumfin..
anyone with either of the macbooks?? help out haha
issit worth it?? getting the black one?

C

CWMac

If its down to prices then yeah get 2 gig for sure but 1 gig covers everything too. I can run World of Warcraft, mail,office, mulitple pages of safari, adium, and dozens of widgets and i still have tons of memory left.

On my desktop pc its got 2 gig and ive ran multiple instances of WoW plus CS2 with several raw files , all at once and never touched the last 500mb of the ram. ATM i only have pc version of CS2 so i have to use bootcamp with it (no uni-binary CS2 yet :( ) and it runs just dandy even with several raw photograph files , so id assume the machine would handle the stuff you are going to throw at it.

For the work you want to do ,college etc like me, you will never access the second gig of ram (until i get Aperture min needed there is 2 gig lol).If its just as cheap to get that second gig then fine but if it comes down to money then 1 gig is plenty.

Rams pretty cheap at £60 for one gig here so if things were to change it wont cost the earth to replace my two 512 sticks.

Colour wise, to me Mac notebooks are white, PC laptops are black :D But really its personal taste tbh. The white discolouring issue was with early generation MBs far as i can see and people with mucky hands :p The *top* of the book with the keyboard keys is not white anyway, its grey and the keys are white. So long as yer not rebuilding cars and typing youll be ok afaik. Also i think some discolouration issues were from heatsink problems and *browing* occuring from the inside, from what ive read on these forums.

OP
huazhelei
Reaction score
oh thanks heaps man!
so yeah
lol wadsup everyone...
yea im still getting it in december
so im gonna go wif...
2.0 Ghz, 1 GB Ram but 2 GB if my dad lets me, 100 GB HDD, and yea.. the white one coz i think it looks special rather than black laptops
thx heaps everyone =D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.