downloading dmg files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powermacG5 2.3ghz 2gig ram running logicpro7
Hi

with both safari and firefox i cant download links to files, once i click on the link i get a new blank webpage screen and the little spinning wheel as if its trying to load a webpage.

the little box the normally pops up showing the download bar doesnt happen anymore

any one know why this is?

Reaction score
If you haven't recently performed a Software Update then I would try that as the OS has been updated to 10.4.8. If that doesn't fix anything then post back.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah doesnt fix it

Reaction score
tiger2 said:
yeah doesnt fix it

In Safari Prefs>General....where does it say the downloads are saved to and is there a tick against Open Safe Files After Downloading?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
found the problem :)

i had a trial version of speed download which has ran out and the setting was for that to download files from the internet

Reaction score
You know I was about to ask you if you were using Speed Download 'cos I found this on the net:

You're not using Speed Download by any chance are you? I raised that in relation to another "won't work with X software" a while back. The SPs still don't work properly with Speed Download. If the file to be downloaded is on the same file tree as the page with the link, it works; if it isn't you get a blank page, for which the answer is to copy the URL open SD and add the URL manually.
Then there are sites I find which SD has problems with anyway, like Mariner Software's, or Adobe, where it will often only download a download.php file or similar. The other day, I found that that problem then persisted when I tried to download beta3 of Adobe Lightroom, so that Safari (with or without SD active), FF and Opera 9 only downloaded download.html until I restarted the machine.

Glad you got it sorted anyhow..... :biohazard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.