Front Row Problems

S

Scott

Hi All

Ive just got my Shiney new imac 17" Core 2 Duo, and all is working fine, apart from Front Row and iTunes. I have mapped a network drive, that has my entire music collection, none of this has been bought from iTunes, all ripped from my music CDs.

I have added about 10gb into iTunes, and as long as the mapped drive is mapped, it plays no problems. So, i thought id test out the Apple Remote and Front Row, here lies the problem.

If ive already played the song in iTunes as normal, it will play without problems in Front Row/iTunes, however, if i havent it tells me my computer isnt authorized to play this song, and i must go and click the song in iTunes, and enter the apple store ID i used to buy it...

If i go back, and just play the song as normal, then go back into Front Row and play it works fine.

Why is this, i dont want to have to play over 2000 songs once, to get this to work?

Reaction score
Have you performed a Software Update recently as iTunes version is now at 7.0.1 also the OS has been updated to 10.4.8.

OP
S

Scott

Hi

Yeah, i updated to 7.0.1 iTunes on Thursday, then yesterday i got the 10.4.8 update from apple.

Scott

Reaction score
It may be a permissions thing....go to disc utility in Applications>Utilities and do a repair on your drives and see if that helps....

OP
S

Scott

Hey

Tried that, and their were a couple of problems. So i told it to fix it, which it did. Im still getting this problem with it though. Song still unable to play :/

Scott

Reaction score
Scott said:
Hey

Tried that, and their were a couple of problems. So i told it to fix it, which it did. Im still getting this problem with it though. Song still unable to play :/

Scott

So where exactly are the songs, the mapped drive....are they on another computer?

OP
S

Scott

Yeah, they are stored on my Windows PC, ive just created a share and then mapped it.

Reaction score
Scott said:
Yeah, they are stored on my Windows PC, ive just created a share and then mapped it.

Ok, so when you say you created a share then mapped it do you mean the songs are all in a share folder or are you sharing from iTunes library on PC to iTunes on Mac?

OP
S

Scott

All my music is on a Windows PC. In a folder called "My Music" i have shared that folder on my windows PC, and i have then connected to that so it appears on my Mac desktop.

I have then added the music from that into iTunes.

Reaction score
The answer may be to download iTunes for your PC and then create a library of your songs on the PC and enable sharing between your iTunes Libraries of the Mac and PC.

I have the same setup as you but this is how I do it. I just checked the procedure as I hadn't used it in a while and am currently listening to my PC's iTunes library via iTunes on my iMac G5

I'm hoping that by sharing this way, FrontRow will finally behave itself!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.