Ibook Display problems

S

smcmillian

Okay here we go again. I am having a plroblem with my display. I just recently got the Ibook and for the first day. Nothing went wrong. Second day, I started having lines go maybe a inch long from the right side of the screen to the center. The computer will lock up. Or I might have no display at all, and teh computer will work. *i assume by pressing teh power button and hitting enter and it shutting off* When the line thing is going on I can pop the top of the keyboard and they will quit. I have it up and running right now and in fear of it messing up again. Does anyone have any idea if it is the gpu or maybe the ribbon cable going out or something?

OP
S

smcmillian

Okay here is something else that I have noticed. when it is working, I can close the screen, and open it. The screen might come back up fine, it might stay blank *thinking the computer locks up when it does that* or it might do the line thing.. I think it might be the cables from the base to the screen

Reaction score
I've got some questions for you:

Have you got the ibook Hardware test disk that came with the computer ?

which model is it ?

when did you last do a clean install ?

OP
S

smcmillian

yes i have the hardware test disk. I'm not sure of the model. but it is a 800 MHz. Dual usb. I have not done a clean install. I just recently go the ibook off of ebay.

Reaction score
Run the disk by restarting with the 'C' key pressed down and see if that comes up with any hardware issues. Back everything up and do a clean install, that may also help !!

Good luck.

P.S You can turn the computer off my doing what you said. Hit the power button then press enter. :dive:

OP
S

smcmillian

Okay.. I have done alot of research on these. I was refusing that it is the logic board. well, i have to acept the fact that it is. But, there is the thing. All of the research that I have done points to the GPU. the solder on the terminals break due to the flexability of the logic board. Thank goodness I know someone who works at a electronics place.... They could re-solder it for me... :headphone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.