Intel Core2 Duo

Reaction score
Okay question for all of you here do you believe that within the say next 6 months that apple will start putting the Intel Core2 Duo in there machines and will they be back at square one with heat issues and malfunctions(granted that lots of laptops and pcs have malfunctions) but this is just for mac or will they even bother to put them in the machines untill they have got most of the bugs out of the originals? just a question to change the subject on broken macbooks :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
devast8or said:
Okay question for all of you here do you believe that within the say next 6 months that apple will start putting the Intel Core2 Duo in there machines and will they be back at square one with heat issues and malfunctions(granted that lots of laptops and pcs have malfunctions) but this is just for mac or will they even bother to put them in the machines untill they have got most of the bugs out of the originals? just a question to change the subject on broken macbooks :p

They shouldn't be back at square one since the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo both use the same socket (Socket 479).

Reaction score
That was a mean run-on sentence. Punctuation would help a lot. I mean, it's not term paper or anything, but some kind of readability is always nice. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
how easy will it be to upgrade our current macbooks to the new core 2 duo?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0GHZ coreduo 1G RAM
so that means there is no way for us to upgrade our macbooks to the new processor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
if they are soldered on (I haven't looked inside of mine, but it most likely is) then you can't upgrade it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
They have never offered that service and I highly doubt they would start

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
That's really unfortunate.. has apple always done this? I mean soldered their chips to the logic board. So basically you would need to replace the board as well along with the chip.. how frustrating..

C

CWMac

Most laptops are the same tbh.Its not unusual to find mobile cpus soldered in place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Generally people buy laptops with the understanding that upgrades are severely limited. The optical drive, hard drive and RAM seem to be all that a user can change on most.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
geoffstgermaine said:
Generally people buy laptops with the understanding that upgrades are severely limited. The optical drive, hard drive and RAM seem to be all that a user can change on most.

Yup, and with the MacBook you're even more limited - only hard drive and ram right now. The MacBook uses a new, smaller DVD drive format that no one sells yet, and they're only available in 4x for DVD burning. Hopefully someone releases an 8x model soon!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
I'm not sure why Apple is waiting to put the Core 2 Duo in their laptops, but it could be that they want to sell off the Core Duo laptops first. It could also be that they designed their logic board by mistake to be incompatible with Core 2 Duo chips, even though they are pin-compatible.

And yes, the CPU is soldered onto the logic board so in order to upgrade the CPU you have to replace the entire logic board. Back in the Pentium II/III days it was the norm to solder the CPU on the laptop motherboard, but today it's very rare that they do that unless they are building ultraportables in the case of the MacBook/MacBook Pro. Having the CPU soldered on means you can make the laptop thinner, but it also means you have trouble replacing parts and parts inventory can be a pain.

Apple offering CPU upgrades wouldn't make sense. But, I'm still urgently awaiting the Core 2 MacBooks...

Also, heat and "problems" won't be any worse than the Core Duo MacBook because Core 2 Duo is designed to operate in the thermal envelop of Core Duo, henceforth Core 2 doesn't consume any more power or make any more heat than Core. Basically the Core 2 is a little more powerful processor, but still works within Core architecture and Core bus speeds. When Intel releases the next version of their Core 2 Duo, it will have a new socket, new chipsets, and a faster frontside bus. This chip may well be what Apple is waiting on to upgrade the MacBook, but don't expect it until well into 2007.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Also I think you can expect it in the macbook pro well before you can expect it in the macbook. It has always been apples way to upgrade the pro model before the upgrade the consumer model. The ibook and the powerbook were always very different, and normally no where near as close as the macbook and the macbook pro. Apple might use the core 2 to help make the gap a bigger one so that people who want the core 2 buy the macbook pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.