Glossy Display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
What is the real difference?

Choose the glossy widescreen display to make your graphics, photos, and videos appear with richer color and deeper blacks — great for watching DVD movies. If you prefer a display with anti-glare coating for a matte rather than glossy viewing experience, choose the standard widescreen display.

I will mainly be using it for web development and design. Will be ordering my mbp soon and don't know which type of display to go for!

Thanks

Ad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I have the Glossy and love it... its just like.. shiny.. if your going to be using this out doors or in bright areas, it might be bess just to get the anti-glare matte display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
If you are doing any type of design, I highly suggest going with the matte display. When you are doing design you have to rely on what the screen shows, and the matte display would be the best for that.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
Yeh reckon I will got with Matte - just wanted to check out that I wouldn't be missing out on anything ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
It really depends on where and what you're using it for. I have the glossy screen on one of my Compaq laptops and I love and hate it. When you're inside, it's extremely bright and the colors are amazing, but when you're outside you can't see to save your life. I like being outside a lot at school, so I kick myself for going with the glossy Brightview screen. It's great if you like to watch a lot of movies or look at a lot of images/photo design, but it's terrible for outside/car use.

You also have to keep in mind that as PunkRockTuba mentioned above, if you're designing a lot of graphics and stuff those pretty colors aren't going to look the same way to everyone that views them. I know in my office (I'm an IT) the people that work with our marketing stuff hated upgrading to LCDs because what they saw on their LCD screen was totally different once they saw it on a CRT. Getting a glossy LCD screen will only make this issue even worse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
glossy is just prettier to me....but the above comments about your design work are very true. The colors just "pop" more on the glossy...which may or may not be a good thing in your case.

Reaction score
tjacob said:
So if you go outside with a matte display will you see it?

I just read the thread and it seems if you want to use the MBP outside then the matte is best.

Reaction score
But even with a Matte display, it is still very difficult to read the screen in direct sunlight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Adam said:
What is the real difference?

I will mainly be using it for web development and design. Will be ordering my mbp soon and don't know which type of display to go for!

Thanks

Ad

I'd really recommend trying to view the different screens in person as well to see which you prefer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac, Retina 5K, 3.6 GHz, 64 GB Memory, 2 TB storage
schweb said:
I'd really recommend trying to view the different screens in person as well to see which you prefer.

The glossy screen yields a beautiful picture provided there are no bright lights in the vicinity. It's virtually impossible to hide light fixture reflection. Most use their laptop with the screen tilted away from them by as much as 45 degrees. The screen will reflect any shiny onject or light source. You may see yourself reflected back as well!

S

sursuciofla

I would go with traditional matte lcd. Yes, glossy is renders amzing colors but you sacrifice flexibility as far a locations and settings you can use it comfortably. I love matte, they better never make glossy the standard or I will not be happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have much trouble reading my glossy outdoors....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
Is there something that you can put on the screen that can prevent glare?

I remember seeing recently an advertisement for a little cover that you just stick to your screen so the person next to you can't see what you are doing on your computer (ie Airplane). It looked like it just stayed on with static electricity but I am not positive.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have seen that as well....it does make sense that it would cut down on glare....does anyone have this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
Or something similar to it...

Maybe one that is designed to eliminate or reduce glare on a glossy screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yes it does cut down on glare, but it also cuts down on brightness and color clarity. I have one of these "security screens" for my work laptop. It's decent for working with spreadsheets, but I wouldn't recommend it for design work or watching movies.

Reaction score
sursuciofla said:
I would go with traditional matte lcd. Yes, glossy is renders amzing colors but you sacrifice flexibility as far a locations and settings you can use it comfortably. I love matte, they better never make glossy the standard or I will not be happy.

On a recent trip to an electronics superstore I was surprised by the amount of glossy screens on laptops and lcds. In fact I can't remember seeing a matte display...

I

iRizzo

I have a 15 inch MBP with a matte screen and love it. I used my friend's Macbook (which had a glossy screen) for a whole class period and didn't like it at all. I could see the reflections of the light bulbs on my screen. It was annoying as heck. It made me a lot happier that I got the matte.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it seems like all personal preference......people who have matte screens love them, and people who have glossy (me included), love them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.