Switched last night, have a few basic questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
well hopefully you have the system disk that came witth the mac. and all you have to do is put it in your disk drive. and turn off your computer. then turn it on w/ the disk inside and hold a key. (i think it's c...) it allows the computer to boot up from the disk, then all you have to do is click on the option to make a clean intall. i forget what it exactly says, but it should be self explanatory. i'm sure one of the gurus will tell you exactly what goes on, instead of my half-@ssed job. =/ well at least i hope that helps.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
True, you do press and hold the C key until your Apple boots up. You want to do a fresh install. Since I have not installed Panther yet. I believe it is a fresh install wipes the disk clean, then installs the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
reinstalling OS X

I will try reinstalling OS X. But first, I would like to back everything up onto a CD. How do I do that?

OP
W

Wildbilly

Beatles4Life said:
Star: I tried that, and nothing happened. :confused: I'm not sure what else to try. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

Try it this way. Go to Application folder then drag the System Preferences application to the dock. It will not move the Application "System Preferences" just the icon alias to the dock.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
system preferences

Wildbilly: The System Preferences folder is completely gone from my computer. I think something happened when I upgraded to OS 10.2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
Beatles4Life said:
Star: I tried that, and nothing happened. :confused: I'm not sure what else to try. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

mackitosh HD>applications>system preferences, grag and drop it on the dock

OP
S

StarManta

PLEASE STOP REPLYING TO "Star: I tried that, and nothing happened."... There are TWO, count'em, TWO pages on this thread, please read the second one! Oye.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
StarManta said:
PLEASE STOP REPLYING TO "Star: I tried that, and nothing happened."... There are TWO, count'em, TWO pages on this thread, please read the second one! Oye.....

lol, no shiz, I was waiting for someone to say it. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
apple chancery has disappeared!

Well, I finally did it. I reinstalled OS 10 onto my computer. It was a little traumatic, but I'm glad I did it because I have the System Preferences folder back. :D

However, after I finished installing AppleWorks and Word, I discovered that my favorite font, Apple Chancery, has disappeared! I opened up both AppleWorks and Word to look for it and it was gone. Does anyone know how to get it back? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It worked! Yaaaay!

Thanks so much, StarManta! I agree, Google is wonderful. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.