dead harddrive

Reaction score
After 2 beautiful years with my 12" macbook, my hardware test shows that my harddrive has crashed.

I'm wondering if I can get an external harddrive, and run my mac through it instead?

Or if anybody has any other suggestions before my husband tries to take it apart to replace the harddrive or I part it out on ebay?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Missy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
2 years with a macbook? Do you mean iBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
If you're interested in selling it, please let me know because I have been looking for a good deal on a 12" PowerBook. Send me a PM about how much you think you would want for it and some of the spec's if you know them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
replacing the hard drive is really no big deal....just take it apart and plug in the new one. that would be my suggestion.

Reaction score
I did mine from here ---> http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/ and it was easy. Make sure you use a drive with similar specs. Mine was a 60GB 5400rpm IDE Toshiba (MK6026GAX). I bought a 80GB Toshiba MK8026GAX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5 GHz Pb G4 2 GB, imac 2.4 GHz 2 GB, iphone 16 GB
that happened to me too >_>
got a new one
it cost me quiet a bit
but it fixed things dandy

OP
M
Reaction score
olias said:
I did mine from here ---> http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/ and it was easy. Make sure you use a drive with similar specs. Mine was a 60GB 5400rpm IDE Toshiba (MK6026GAX). I bought a 80GB Toshiba MK8026GAX.

I actually did buy a new one yesterday-replaced my 40 gig w/another 40 gig for $50.00(w/$20 rebate). It only took about 3 hours with the amazing instructions on ifixit.com, and that time was mostly taking out all of the screws.
I had dropped my computer about 6 months ago, and the airport stopped working. Apparently that was when I damaged my harddrive, because not only is my computer running, but my airport is now working again.

Thanks for your help!

D

dm95eg

messystain said:
I actually did buy a new one yesterday-replaced my 40 gig w/another 40 gig for $50.00(w/$20 rebate). It only took about 3 hours with the amazing instructions on ifixit.com, and that time was mostly taking out all of the screws.
I had dropped my computer about 6 months ago, and the airport stopped working. Apparently that was when I damaged my harddrive, because not only is my computer running, but my airport is now working again.

Thanks for your help!

Where can i buy a new hardrive? Maybe thats the problem with mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dm95eg - my guess is that your hard drive is fine...you just need a fresh install of OSX. Even if you bought a new hard drive, you would still need a fresh install.....

OP
M
Reaction score
buying hard drive

I bought mine at Comp USA. I just had to look for ata-100 notebook hard drives. After looking around, they had some of the best prices (since it had the rebate).
At the store, I was told that they would actually do the install for only $30.00- said it's a flat rate to install any hard drives, but I would double check. I felt more comfortable installing my own-I love my computer more than they do.
If or when you install it, you will need to start up your computer with the disc, go to disc utility and erase the hard drive. It looked like this also formatted it. Then you can reload your os.
As for my broken airport, the hardware test would read it as ok, but my internet connections wouldn't even read that I had an airport. If you're looking to boost up your hd anyway, it would be worth it.
My alternative when my airport was broken was a Belkin wireless g for $40.00. It's a little bigger than a jump drive, and I had to run a quick search for OSX drivers, but it worked perfectly when my airport wasn't working at all.
Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.