Final question before I order

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy the 24" model right now. But was just hoping people were on and could answer a question.

I do not play games on my Mac. I don't plan to. I have consoles for that. Do you still recommend the video card upgrade? Will it improve performance in other areas other than gaming?

Thanks a lot. I will wait until I get responses before I order.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24 inch imac 4 gig ram 320 gig hdd. MB C2D 320 gig hd 4 gig ram, 8 gig iphone
ripfrankwhite said:
I'm getting ready to buy the 24" model right now. But was just hoping people were on and could answer a question.

I do not play games on my Mac. I don't plan to. I have consoles for that. Do you still recommend the video card upgrade? Will it improve performance in other areas other than gaming?

Thanks a lot. I will wait until I get responses before I order.
Rip,

I recommend you get the upgrade for a couple of reasons:

Better video cards equal better overall performance.
If you are going to be using programs like Final Cut Pro or Shake 4, You'll find that it plays video much smoother when watching playback. especially if it's very graphic intense. Almost every program put on PC or Mac will recommend 128 meg of video ram as a minimum. In the long run it will pay off to get the upgrade. For PC's now you can even by a Physics card to handle only the physics portion of the graphics card giving the video ram everything it needs to render etc. It will be a noticeable difference and one well worth the 125 bucks to upgrade.

Chris

OP
ripfrankwhite
Reaction score
Bizquik said:
Rip,

I recommend you get the upgrade for a couple of reasons:

Better video cards equal better overall performance.
If you are going to be using programs like Final Cut Pro or Shake 4, You'll find that it plays video much smoother when watching playback. especially if it's very graphic intense. Almost every program put on PC or Mac will recommend 128 meg of video ram as a minimum. In the long run it will pay off to get the upgrade. For PC's now you can even by a Physics card to handle only the physics portion of the graphics card giving the video ram everything it needs to render etc. It will be a noticeable difference and one well worth the 125 bucks to upgrade.

Chris

Thanks Biz, I think you're right. I was reading other suggestions and it seems that it is the smart thing to do, even if just to improve resell value. Well, here goes nothin...or um...$2500...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" - 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB, NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600 GT w/256; Mac Mini 1.66GHz Intel
Rip: I am about to do the same. I have this in my saved cart:

iMac, 24-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo Z0DD 1 $2,549.00 $2,549.00
Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English) 065-6433
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM 065-6801
Accessory kit 065-6432
250GB Serial ATA Drive 065-6438
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB 065-6474
2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 065-6792
SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) 065-6439

I am trying to decide on the Warranty Extension. Do I really need three years? Wouldn't I know if something is wrong in the first 90 days?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

OP
ripfrankwhite
Reaction score
I'm thinking this is a lot of money and I'm am really having second thoughts (buyers remorse?). I am pretty happy just using my MacBook, LOL! I'm such a cheapskate. :) Anyway, I ALWAYS buy the Applecare, or any warranty for that matter. I recommend it.

iMac, 24-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo
Apple Wireless Keyboard & wireless Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM
500GB Serial ATA Drive
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac - Auto-enroll
Estimated Tax*: $189.23
Estimated Total: $2,712.23

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" - 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB, NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600 GT w/256; Mac Mini 1.66GHz Intel
This really isn't a lot...

Seriously, for what your getting - this is worth dollar for dollar.

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Increased video cards will only enhance 3D apps. Games and such.
If you aren't going to be playing games or using intense 3D apps, then the increased video RAM will not improve your experience much at all.
128 MB of VRAM is more than enough for video. What is going to enhance video work is more system RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.