Wireless Networking on a Mac?

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Newbie here. I am looking into switching to a Mac and just have a quick question. I have done some reading around and didn't see anything so I am resorting to asking.

I currectly use a Compaq Windows machine and use a Linksys Wireless Router. Is this going to work with my Mac or will I need a special wireless router? Also, will the setup cd work too?

Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
jparker0201 said:
Hello everyone. Newbie here. I am looking into switching to a Mac and just have a quick question. I have done some reading around and didn't see anything so I am resorting to asking.

I currectly use a Compaq Windows machine and use a Linksys Wireless Router. Is this going to work with my Mac or will I need a special wireless router? Also, will the setup cd work too?

Thanks everyone.

It should work with a Mac. I don't know if the setup CD will work with the Mac, but if the router's already set up then you don't need it. Just select the network from the Airport menu and enter the password.

D

darcyl

I use a DLink wireless router...no issues...you just configure the wireless network settings on your Mac.

DL

Reaction score
i just got a macbook, i have a router connected wirelessly to 3 PCs. the mac picked up the network right away. you shouldnt have any problems at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
jparker0201 said:
have done some reading around and didn't see anything so I am resorting to asking.

Thanks everyone.
Welcome to the forums! :black:
Yes, the router will work.
No, the CD won't... but you won't have any need for it.

Feel free to browse the "Airport and Networking" forum if you have any more questions, or you can just use the search function.
You can do all the reading you really need here. This very question, along with several others you may have, has already been asked many times and answered. You can save yourself the time and trouble of creating a new thread and you can find your answer much quicker and won't have to wait for a reply. :black:

Reaction score
Welcome!!!! Let me tell you a story...

I became a Switcher in November 2005. At home, I run two PC's - one is in another room so I use(d) a Linksys WRT-54G wireless router.

Ok, I get my Powerbook home and start it up...... it goes through its thing, I give it my name, select a password, yada yada.... Then, it automatically found MY wireless network (there are three other people in my building w/ wireless) and asked me if I wanted to join.

Didn't have to load a thing. I almost fell over when I saw that. It was then that I knew that my PB and I were going to have a great and long-lasting relationship.

.....and I'm writing from class this evening, on SDSU's wireless network.

Go for it! You'll not be sorry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.