I'm worried!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air
I've been using Vista on my MacBook, and I 'm worried I actually like it a lot more than I thought I would...

Reaction score
corysw said:
I've been using Vista on my MacBook, and I 'm worried I actually like it a lot more than I thought I would...

okay time for an "intervention"

just kidding what is it you like about it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
...and you're worried, why? Becuase you might prefer a different OS than Mac? OMG!!... You have to HATE Microsoft and LOVE only Apple... stop before Microsoft brainwashes you any further!
Seriously, if you like a new OS then big deal. Use it and like it and get over it. Its only a computer, nothing to get upset about.
:black:

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I think it's better than OS X on the MacBook beause it's much faster. Key and mouse response is better, the fans seem to regulate more efficiently, Vista discovers my Apple wireless keyboard and Bluetooth Mighty Mouse as soon as I open the lid, I can use Photoshop on my laptop again, and I can play solitaire.

Don't get me wrong though. Vista on the MacBook is nothing compared to OS X on my G5. But for the Intel laptop, it's another ball game.

Reaction score
cjay said:
okay time for an "intervention"

Sure is! Lets load up the car, drive to his house, sneak in and delete the Vista partition!

(hears Mission Impossible music in the background...)

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
are you using Parallels? i thought Bootcamp didn't support Vista yet.

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm using Boot Camp.

I downloaded the Boot Camp Assistant from Apple, and ran it exactly as I would if I was installing XP, but when it told me to insert the XP disk, I put in the Vista DVD instead. To be honest, I was astonished it actually installed without a hitch.

EDIT: I don't think any of this is "supported" yet.

D

darcyl

One feature I hope that Apple adopts is the way Vista will display open applications...it does it in a 3-D angled stack view (that so doesn't explain it perfectly...google for some images, its very kewl)...I like that way better than just seeing the greyed out windows all around the screen and making the selection that way.

Vista's security is going to be the biggest hurdle though. The early beta's make you click through dialogs to do anything network related...PITA! Hopefully they fix it for the final release.

DL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i have heard that it is a nice os. what is wrong with liking it? i have become very good friends with opensuse over the past few weeks and in some ways like it more than os x but that isnt a problem to me
-chris

Reaction score
Everything I need to do computer-wise is covered by Mac compatible software. If I had an Intel Mac I'd only run Vista/XP for gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I want to put vista on my macbook pro, but can't burn the image.. do i need toast (before now i never needed it). Or is there a way to burn iso's with out it?

I feel like a noob, although I have been on macs for so long, and burn dvds all the time, just never iso's. So help me out with my noobiness, any ways to burn iso's with out toast?

Reaction score
PowerBookG4 said:
I want to put vista on my macbook pro, but can't burn the image.. do i need toast (before now i never needed it). Or is there a way to burn iso's with out it?

I feel like a noob, although I have been on macs for so long, and burn dvds all the time, just never iso's. So help me out with my noobiness, any ways to burn iso's with out toast?

I believe you can use Disk Utility to burn ISOs. Check out this link: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060619181010389

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A few tips:

1. Before you do anything, back up any important files on the computer. This will also erase your XP installation.

2. Download the x86 version, not the x64 version.

3. When you run Boot Camp Assistant, make sure to make the Windows partition at least 30 GB.

4. Open XP, then insert the disk, and the Vista installer will start automatically. Don't try to boot from the Vista DVD.

5. The computer will restart several times during the installation. It's important you stay with the computer the entire time, because when it restarts, you'll have to press OPTION, and choose "Windows" to continue the installation.

6. Very Important: As soon as you can, right click on the Vista Desktop, and click Personalize. Set the screen resolution to the setting all the way on the right of the slider.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
S

sursuciofla

corysw said:

Yeah I mean after years of studying Apple and OS X it is about time they get on the wagon.

I feel like printing a Picasso and painting over it and adding a few things to it...then I can call it my creation...hmmm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Well just to add my 2 peneth I’ve used Vista on a PC for the last 3 months working through the bugs and fixes and it is certainly a improvement on XP but it is still as shaky as XP not to mention some of the improvements looks as though they have been taken from apples OS X 10.4.

Plus there are a lot of issues with software that won't run on Vista, with many hardware manufacturers not having developed drivers for their hardware, especially if the hardware is 18 months old or more. Therefore your okay if you've bought a new Intel PC but if yours in a few years old then your not so lucky. but I can certainly see how you would like it because it is not too dissimilar to OS X with a sidebar which is effectively a doc on the Right-hand side of your screen and which I’d say resembles the dashboard in OS X. 10.5

Having said all that I have now converted to a Mac and after just one week I have noticed the system is more stable than XP and there is no comparison for me until M$ have sorted Vista I won't touch a pc might burn my hands lol

As a system to run very basic tasks Vista is fine but not so good if you try to use Photoshop CS2 for a medium sized project it falls on it's face. In the early stages the only messenger service that would work on it was their newer version MSN Live IRC was a no go, but I believe this is now sorted, but it's not until you start putting the system through it's paces you see it's flaws.

One big improvement on XP and one which has been in OS X is the fact that if your system becomes corrupt and won't repair Via the CD or console recovery, as in XP. You can re-install Vista provided you hard drive partition is big enough. Without totally reformatting your Hard Drive and vista will put all your old files in a folder, which gives you the opportunity to recover any files, you may not have backed up.

M$ claim Vista is there best system to date and it probably is because they seem to have taken the good bits from Windows 95, 98, Millennium and XP, (not that there were many) combining them with a lot of OS X to give a system 100% better than XP.

The current beta version RC1 6300 is available from M$ as a download or a DVD and they will allow you to register/activate the software until June 1st 2007

ooops got a bit carried away there

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Why 30GB?"

Microsoft's website says, under the minimum system requirements for Vista, that you should have at least a 30GB hard drive, with at least 15GB free.

M

MacWannabe

scooter said:
are you using Parallels? i thought Bootcamp didn't support Vista yet.

Cool thing about Parallels is that you can install from the iso without burning a disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.