iMac 350 dead after install of panther

J

justinkelly

Hi All

I just attempted to install OS10.3 on my iMac G3 350, when installing a message popped up stating that my firmware needed to be uprgraded I click OK, a few minutes of an install screen doing nothing the screen when black, now when i turn on my imac all that appears in a black screen and after a few seconds the imac turns off???? I have taken the HD out and put it in my G4 400 and it booted now worries (into OSX.1) , now what?

Cheers

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
justinkelly said:
Hi All

I just attempted to install OS10.3 on my iMac G3 350, when installing a message popped up stating that my firmware needed to be uprgraded I click OK, a few minutes of an install screen doing nothing the screen when black, now when i turn on my imac all that appears in a black screen and after a few seconds the imac turns off???? I have taken the HD out and put it in my G4 400 and it booted now worries (into OSX.1) , now what?

Cheers

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Justin

I installed Panther on my imac DV SE 400 with no worries. In order for the firmware update to complete correctly you should boot from OS 9 to apply it. These articles from the Apple support site may help you

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60385

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75130

OP
I

iBob

This is a common occurance just hope you have a second monitor port at the rear. Plug in another monitor it should then boot then download the firmware upgrade from the mac.com. Follow the instructions and all should be well with the world. However if you have no monitor port life will get very complicated requiring a copy of timbuktu software and a couple of modems to allow the upgrade to be done remotely. If you have any problems getting the upgrade let me know can e-mail it

OP
J

justinkelly

iMac still dead

Thanks iBob andD3v1L80Y for your replies but im still having no luck with my iMac,

What i did do was that as i dont have a second monitor port as the rear of my iMac or a copy of timbuktu i pulled the HD out and put it in my G4 PowerMac, installed the new apple firmware (could only install the G4 PM version), install Panther and everything looks fine when the HDs in the PowerMac but when I put it back in the iMac 350 all i get is a blank screen - when i turn on my iMac it sounds likes its booting up OK now but the screen remains black (no aplple symbol, nothing) ?

Whats now?

Thanks again for all your help

Cheers

Justin

iBob said:
This is a common occurance just hope you have a second monitor port at the rear. Plug in another monitor it should then boot then download the firmware upgrade from the mac.com. Follow the instructions and all should be well with the world. However if you have no monitor port life will get very complicated requiring a copy of timbuktu software and a couple of modems to allow the upgrade to be done remotely. If you have any problems getting the upgrade let me know can e-mail it

OP
I

iBob

justinkelly said:
Thanks iBob andD3v1L80Y for your replies but im still having no luck with my iMac,

What i did do was that as i dont have a second monitor port as the rear of my iMac or a copy of timbuktu i pulled the HD out and put it in my G4 PowerMac, installed the new apple firmware (could only install the G4 PM version), install Panther and everything looks fine when the HDs in the PowerMac but when I put it back in the iMac 350 all i get is a blank screen - when i turn on my iMac it sounds likes its booting up OK now but the screen remains black (no aplple symbol, nothing) ?

Whats now?

Thanks again for all your help

Cheers

Justin

Justin
The firmware upgrade is actully sent to the chip that drives the monitor and is not a software upgrade that resides on the disc. The G4 upgrade you did will only have worked for the G4. If you can find some one that has not done a firmware upgrade on there imac or G3 and borrow the disc you will then be able to do yours. The upgrade has to be done from the boot disc. Hope this helps.

OP
D

Delomar

Ah!

I'm having the exact same problem, and nothing seems to be working. Is it possible to upgrade the formware some other way?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.