Remove Remote Desktop Icon

Reaction score
I am still rather new to my Mac, and all Macs in general. I thought I was finally learning more but I guess I'm still a "noob".

I was trying to add my mac to my Windows network, but I still dont know how to do that, but thats soon to be another post.

Back to the task at hand:

I was wondering how to get rid of the Remote Desktop icon(the binoculars) in the "taskbar" (i dont know if thats what its called, but the bar on the top where most things are, like the time and battery info).

I am not using Remote Desktop, and the binoculars are all gray, but its been bothering me that they are constantly there.

So if anyone can help, I would greaty appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Matt

Reaction score
OP
M
Reaction score
Pulse-8 said:
The Remote Desktop is used by teachers or network admins to monitor activity on the network.

I'm trying to work out why it's been enabled.

As for networking with windows:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=19652

http://macs.about.com/cs/tipstutorials/a/xp_osx_sharing.htm

http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/network/

These are just a few of the available webpages to help with networking with XP.

Thanks for the Links, I am planning to work on that tommorow, so I appreciate it.

And the reason it is on, was because I am new to Macs and was trying to connect to a printer connected to my Windows network, and thought that using the remote desktop might allow me to.

But it is my personal machine and remote desktop is turned off, I just want to remove the icon from my taskbar.

Thanks for the speedy response.

Matt

OP
M
Reaction score
I Figured It Out!

I was just reading on of the webpages you linked me to, and it indirectly fixed my problem, and possibly the networking problem.

The proble was quite simple, in System Preferences- Sharing, when the Services tab is highlighted, Remote Desktop was in the list, so I checked it out, turns out I had unintentionally clicked a button in its options that shows status in taskbar, meaning the icon appears in the taskbar.

Thank you for your help, I am extremely grateful.

Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
You can also cmd-click-drag apple icons out of the menu bar.

Reaction score
mplock said:
I was just reading on of the webpages you linked me to, and it indirectly fixed my problem, and possibly the networking problem.

The proble was quite simple, in System Preferences- Sharing, when the Services tab is highlighted, Remote Desktop was in the list, so I checked it out, turns out I had unintentionally clicked a button in its options that shows status in taskbar, meaning the icon appears in the taskbar.

Thank you for your help, I am extremely grateful.

Matt

Glad you got it all sorted...;-)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.