Instant Messaging and Browsing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2Ghz Dual Core Intel Macbook Pro
Hi all,
Since yesterday - I am now a proud owner of my first mac. The entry-level 2ghz Macbook Pro. I have some easy quesitons that I'm sure many former Windows users ask.

First is MSN. I downloaded the super-cut down (and seemingly buggy) version of Microsoft Messenger for Mac, and was disappointed to find that I lost the functionality of Voice and Video. I can understand why these features aren't implemented - but is there an alternative other than Yahoo.

The next question is - can I integrate Yahoo and MSN in to iChat with some sort of plugin? It would be great to use a unified instant messaging program which supports Audio and Video!

My last question for now - is about Safari. Is this just Mozilla/Firefox rebadged? Reason why I ask is, I stopped using Firefox when I found it to be extremely slow when looking at pages that use CSS's alpha/transparency capabilites. On Firefox, the alpha blending is far too strong - so any divs with say 50% transparency, is readable on IE6, but on Firefox its barely visible! To make matters worse - when you try to scroll down a page, its very 'choppy' asthough the CPU usage has maxed out...

Well - I am experiencing the exact same problem in Safari. I wish I had a URL as an example - but its primarily my Livejournal and Myspace which use the functionality - so i hope others have come across this too!

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook; G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; 30 gig; Combo Drive; Radeon 9200
you may want to see what other's have to say in the switcher hangout?

As far as I know...there really isn't much for mac in the area of msn messenger and yahoo.

Reaction score
well i don't think there is a client that supports video with both of those, cause if there was, i would be using it. Check out the msn messenger application call "aMSN". It features great video support.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2Ghz Dual Core Intel Macbook Pro
Thanks mate - that answers my question about MSN!

rogueace said:
well i don't think there is a client that supports video with both of those, cause if there was, i would be using it. Check out the msn messenger application call "aMSN". It features great video support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.