Boot Camp, WinXP, Vistual Studio?

R

Rob A.

I'm new to Macs and was wondering if I could run Microsoft's Visual Studio 2005 (.NET framework 2.0, MDAC, and SQL 2005 express required) in a WinXP boot on a Mac Pro?

1. Is it possible?
2. If yes, what do I need?
3. Any issues, compromises to OS X 10.4 ?
4. Will WinXP Pro work or only home edition?
5. Are there limitations on the WinXP boot? If so what?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks, Rob.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
1. yes
2. An XP Sp2 install disc and Visual Studio install disc
3. Nope, XP is on its own partition
4. Either will work as long as its SP2 (not sure if Visual Studio works with Home)
5. Nope

OP
R

Rob A.

Thank you!

I was reading up on Boot Camp and this seems like a Win Win to me. My only decision left is do I go with 4GB or 8GB memory?

In addition to my revenue stream from WinXP development work, I plan to use the Mac Pro to do HD video work and Audio work, wondering if 4GB is enough? The jump to 8GB is $1100 extra! Ouch.

Thoughts?

Thanks Rob.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would go with 4GB to start, you can alway install the addition 4GB later. I would make sure that the 4GB is installed as 1GB or 2GB memory sticks. That would leave you more slots available for later use.

OP
R

Rob A.

Thanks, I went with 4 X 1GB (I believe that is the only option) which will leave me 4 open slots if I need to add another 4GB. I'll see how Final Cut Pro runs with the footage I have and go from there -- if it bogs down a lot I'll invest in another 4GB. The AVI files I work with are usually about 4GB in size.

I know WinXP Pro can't use more than 4GB (actually 3GB if you exclude pagefile).

Oh well, just have to see, hopefully it'll work -- is Mac Pro memory easy to obtain via 3rd party?

Rob.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
That is a good question. I purchase one of the last Dual G5 PowerMacs. So memory for it was a little easier to come by. I don't know it the third party suppliers are up to date yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.