Advice please!!! Website design for beginner! HELP!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 17"
Hey everyone. As you can see, I am new to this forum and look forward to being a part of this community.

My question is: I want to start a website but don't really know where to start. I'd like to do it myself (ie. design). I have Adobe GoLive, but I don't know if that's useful or not.

Where do I start? What steps do I need to take in order to start my own website?

Reaction score
I would suggest using iWeb--which is included in iLife. I would suggest purchasing iLife and using iWeb. This allow you to understand the basics of web-design, uploading to Internet, etc.

Here is a link to iWeb so you can see the various features: http://www.apple.com/ilife/iweb/

If you want to jump right into Web design...then you could try Adobe's Dreamweaver. Feel free to go to Adobe's website and download the free 30-day trial of Dreamweaver 8.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Or since you already have golive, you could just give that a go - it's not bad...

There a 2 ways to go about it: visual editors like iWeb and golive let you visually create the style of your site first and will generate the necessary html + css code automatically for you.

Or you can learn the principles of html + css and manually write the actual code.

As a beginner, I'd start off with method 1 and try to pick up bits of html as you go along..

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 17"
youthpastor said:
I would suggest using iWeb--which is included in iLife. I would suggest purchasing iLife and using iWeb. This allow you to understand the basics of web-design, uploading to Internet, etc.

Here is a link to iWeb so you can see the various features: http://www.apple.com/ilife/iweb/

If you want to jump right into Web design...then you could try Adobe's Dreamweaver. Feel free to go to Adobe's website and download the free 30-day trial of Dreamweaver 8.

Good luck!

Thanks. Well, I have iWeb but I do not have .Mac. Is this program beneficial to me in any way if I don't have .Mac?

Reaction score
From what I understand, you can publish sites made with iWeb on other servers besides .mac, youjust have to FTP that file to the other server.

I broke down and bot .mac, the swim team that I am making the web site for agreed to pay for it. I am still making the site, I find iWeb to be extremly easy to use.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 17"
greyS60 said:
From what I understand, you can publish sites made with iWeb on other servers besides .mac, youjust have to FTP that file to the other server.

I broke down and bot .mac, the swim team that I am making the web site for agreed to pay for it. I am still making the site, I find iWeb to be extremly easy to use.

What if I wanted to sell something. Like offer a buy-it-now button that can be sent to my paypal account. How in the world would I do something like that?

Reaction score
CJSurabian said:
What if I wanted to sell something. Like offer a buy-it-now button that can be sent to my paypal account. How in the world would I do something like that?

I realise you want to learn all about creating your own website but eBay will do the above without any fuss....all you need to do is create an eBay account and if you already have a PayPal account, then the links are on offer already.

As Aptmunich said, just go ahead and give GoLive a go. I use the 20mb free webspace that my ISP offers with my acct, and just upload my site to their server. 20mb is enough for me as all I upload are pics, mp3's and the occaisonal movie.

When you have the website ready to be uploaded you have to have a host and there are plenty of free webhosters out there if you don't know where to look.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...m=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=free+web+hosting&spell=1

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 17"
Pulse-8 said:
I realise you want to learn all about creating your own website but eBay will do the above without any fuss....all you need to do is create an eBay account and if you already have a PayPal account, then the links are on offer already.

As Aptmunich said, just go ahead and give GoLive a go. I use the 20mb free webspace that my ISP offers with my acct, and just upload my site to their server. 20mb is enough for me as all I upload are pics, mp3's and the occaisonal movie.

When you have the website ready to be uploaded you have to have a host and there are plenty of free webhosters out there if you don't know where to look.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...m=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=free+web+hosting&spell=1

Thanks, Pulse-8! You've been so helpful since I have been on this forum! Thanks again!!!! Oh and by the way, still haven't figured out my external HD problem. Lol. Oh well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.